Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,182   Online: 689

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is Film Dead...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And never called me mother :-)

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    And never called me mother :-)

David.
    OK David, you made me laugh! Glad I checked one last time before setting this thread to "ignore".

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Posted it because it was in interesting read for me. Guys who work nothing but Pixelography in the pro arena for publications yet slow down & enjoy the process and procedures of film when doing their own thing. A few interesting observations and opinions from those irrevocably wedded to digal technology on the job use film for their personal work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "No one ever recorded to vinyl directly for commericial use. Originally, cutting lathes (turntables with heavy platters and huge synchronous motors to reduce wow and flutter) were used to make the master. "

Not to digress from the discussion on film, but the above is not exactly correct. I participated in many "direct-to-disc" recordings and they did not use the standard method of first recording to tape. In the late 1970s, "direct-to-disc" records were produced, aimed at an audiophile niche market, which completely bypassed use of magnetic tape in favor of a "purist" transcription directly to the master lacquer disc. Also during this period, "half-speed mastered" and "original master" records were released, using expensive state-of-the-art technology. for a catalogue of those discs, check out Sheffield labs. They were pioneers in the D to D market.

Ok, back to film. Is it dead? No. But, can those who desire to shoot film keep the film industry alive by generating enough demand? It's very hard to fight the growing technology trends when so much money is being spent to push it. (no film pun intended)

Lou

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Digital still has this issue of highlights. This has kept movies and tv shooting on film to some degree. What I can't figure out is why still photographers choose to ignore this problem.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc5p
    Digital still has this issue of highlights. This has kept movies and tv shooting on film to some degree. What I can't figure out is why still photographers choose to ignore this problem.

Doug
    If you look at the graet majority of the rationale put behind digital photography by its great champions, its composed in huge parts of things being chosen to be ignored.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is Film dead ?
    As a mass market consumer product it is dying, as a serious amateur/professional product it is almost dead- my local chain store lab does a lot of film but they tell me it's overwhelmingly APS.
    However some people (at least 11500 apparently) enjoy the process of capturing images on film. Some use it professionally, some use it as a creative medium away from their professional photography whilst others just enjoy taking pictures with film.
    But it has to be accepted that we are a minority and that we will be treated as such by businesses who have shareholders to satisfy (most of us have a pension plan I guess so that includes us). Digital will not go away, it is convenient, less demanding in some respects and has a huge consumer base to build on until the next big thing comes along. Most of the photographers here would have decided instamatic cameras were not for them in the 60s/70s but they were incredibly popular and gave pleasure to millions, they were just not what you used if you wanterd a little more control of the process. Can we please stop chastising this well expired equine quadraped and celebrate the fantastic work that is showcased in the galleries and enjoy doing what we do.
    I don't expect to be losing my MF or 35mm camera or film in the next few years but if do I might eventually switch to digital and PS for my creative expression, a fellow photographer uses a Canon 5D and expensive lenses, good printer and a lot of skill with PS to produce images which anyone in this group would admire, he also wants to try my MF because he feels I am a 'real' photographer because I have to think about what I do far more than he does. I'll stick to MF for BW but might move to a digital back to replace my 35mm because most of the prints I get from a lab these days never see an analogue enlarger, it's about the right tool for the right job.
    Sorry for the drone but I just get so depressed about this debate-we will end up killing film ourselves at this rate !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    - Is film dead?
    - No, but soon you will be...
    - What are you doing with my digital cam..No!
    - Aaaargh!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    - Is film dead?
    - No, but soon you will be...
    - What are you doing with my digital cam..No!
    - Aaaargh!
    I hope that was a D-P&S because a D-SLR is to big to swallow
    Cheers Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    I hope that was a D-P&S because a D-SLR is to big to swallow
    Cheers Søren
    Swallow? I didn't say anything about putting it in his ...mouth!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin