Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,849   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is slow speed, fine grain film dead?

Well in all of the excitement I lost count, do you feel luck, well do you punk?

Has the larger sizes pushed the smaller slow speed films off the table?

After all with a 20x24 who cares about the speed and grain is not a problem. How much does the Digital community pay the film producers to keep a fine grain small format film off the market?

Shooter
    35mm
    Well Curt the quality of a 40x48 print from a 20x24 negative must be seen to believed. You can not begin to image the finess of the grain in a 40x48 print when projected from a 20x24 enlarger from a sheet of Imagelink HQ film processed in D25. Even when closely examined with a 1X loupe the grain is very hard to see.

I seriously doubt that you have ever seen an original print from this combination.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    ... Even when closely examined with a 1X loupe the grain is very hard to see.
    A 1x loop?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well there's still Efke 25 and the various microfilm/low-contrast developer combos, but if you want fine grain, I believe a bigger camera is really the answer in most situations.

Meanwhile, TMX grain is comparable to the ISO 25 films of old, thought the tonality is very different, and in color, films like Provia 100F and Astia 100F are also much better than many older ISO 100 color transparency films, as is Portra 160NC.

In another thread, HelenB mentioned that Dale Labs in Florida will process and print Kodak Vision 2 stocks shot as still film. You can get Kodak 50D for as little as 12 cents a foot from Film Emporium--

http://store.yahoo.com/filmemporium/524550d.html
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    A 1x loop?
    Kinda explains why the grain is hard to see.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's now a Vision2 version, 5201, of the older EXR (extended range) 5245 50D. Presumably short ends of that will appear.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    Listen you callow fellow of course a 1x loupe. If the loupe is of very high quality...meaning frightfully goddamned expensive so that only the likes of Helen Summilux B. can afford one..it will be as good as looking without a loupe..no need to make things look worse than they are. Not having the funds of capital or talent of the forementioned HSB I try to find dual purpose useage of the items I steal. For instance I use my Burris 1X handgun scope as a 1x loupe.

As an aside this is very helpful when I am uncertain if a negative is bulletproof. Usually a hand swaged heavy jacketed wadcutter will put a nice neat .429 hole in the negative. When this fails to do the trick multipe shots using a factory 300 grain load from a 454 Casull will at least scratch the living hell out of the negative unless I both overexposed and over developed. In that case I fondly wish I had a Holland&Holland 4 guage rifle...but unless you are HSB you cannot afford one.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dang it, Callow... she has a gun!

Run! Run for your life good man... RUN!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    A 1x loop?
    I was more interested in the 20x24 enlarger.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is manufactured by the same people who bring you skyhooks, wallstreachers and 1x loops.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin