Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,979   Online: 922

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't enter and don't send them garbage either. If you can't in good conscience enter a proper print then don't do one at all. Instead write to the Mayor or town council and inform them of why you won't enter and why many others won't. It is a way to get free photos and it is their way of telling you they put no value on your photography, talent and skills.
    Have you ever noticed they don't have contests asking contractors to build them free buildings for a prize?

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.fujifilm.co.jp/fpsn/youkou.html

This above is an annual photo contest by Fuji in Japan. It's supposedly open for anyone aged under 35 with any nationality, but the information is only in Japanese, as far as I know.

The basic rule is to submit 10-30 prints with a theme from your portfollio and show the contest juries that you'll be able to do an exhibit if you win.

The top prize is a little less than 3,000 USD and 100 rolls of Fuji Chrome.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll translate it for you. Or I'll double- check with Fuji if they have something for non-Japanese speakers to to take a look at first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As a little follow up to the story, I got my photos at the exhibition they are going to have in the summer (all eight of them) but I didn't get any awards. I would care less for the latter as I have mentioned the judges couldn't tell a good photograph even if it carried a hammer and hit them in the head with it but I am happy people will get to see my photos. I haven't seen the winning ones but in BW Open Category the first two are titled "The Walk" and "Wild Geese" and in the portrait section something with tears and stuff like that so I wouldn't be surprised to laugh my ass off when I get to finally see them.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You have to be really careful of photo contests. I recently got an email about one, co-sponsored by Hawaiian Airlines and the Hawaii Visitors Bureau. I considered entering, until I read the fine print - there were to retain rights to use the image as they please, in perpetuity, not revocable. Needless to say, I'm not giving those kind of rights on the off chance of winning a round trip to Los Angeles.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    . . . I considered entering, until I read the fine print - there were to retain rights to use the image as they please, in perpetuity, not revocable.
    This seems to be the latest ploy in getting commercial-quality images without actually having to pay commercial rates for them.

You should start your own contest, inviting airlines to submit their on-time arrival records, and include wording in the fine print that the winner will also get to give you, your family, and your friends free air travel for life. Send it to the CEO, along with a copy of their aggregious contest rules with the nasty sections highlighted.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I entered a contest a long time ago at a local university. They offered 'purchase awards'. You got money for placing, but they kept the print for their collection. I won a small purchase award and I liked the idea of having my print as part of the University's collection.

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    There's the analog equivalent of that... improperly fixed RC paper. That will silver out in a spectacularly ugly fashion, especially if you mount it on high-acid corrugated cardboard backing
    Boy, you guys are vicious. Sickum!! Pat
    [SIZE=2]Shadow Catcher[/SIZE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin