Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,519   Online: 892

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Competitions & keeping the print

I was going to enter a local competition sponsored by the city but then I read in the details that they retain the winning photos for "non commercial" uses. I backed down. There is no cash prize or anything just a bit of fame but that could be importand for a new photographer like me. I just don't want to give away my photos, especially if they are going to be used for god-knows-what. Atleast they say non commercial and could be all innocent like displaying the photo on the local arts center, but that also limits a lot the photos I wouldn't mind being disposed like that. I mean, if you have some photos that you consider winners why would you want to give them away like that?

This is a yearly arts competition that includes many disciplines from literature to instrument making. And its the only city sponsored one, so its kinda importand here.

What do you think? Should I still do it by trying to find a photo or two that would hurt me less to give away or should I hold on to my work?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ari,
    I would suggest that you select a photo that you are willing to give away and enter the competition. The exposure could be beneficial.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    I would go for it. In most cases retaining photos by a competition body is to cut costs associated with packing, mailing and so on, sometimes just to have "proof of activity" to get government help. You can consider expense of one print as a support for people or city that makes effort to help artists getting exposure. I do not see anything wrong with this. I know one organization in Poland that helds annual juried competition for children art, they get more than 30,000 entries from all over the world each year. Could you imagine expense and amount of work associated with sending all this work back.
    Jerzy Pawlowski

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will probably give them a couple prints. What the hell, I need the exposure.
    As for shipping costs and returns, the competition is open only to Cretans so its not that
    hard to return the work, considering that they won't have to deal with many entries. I will hand them the prints by hand.
    www.arigram.gr

Ari, don't fix the print properly. That way it will quickly deteriorate and they'll be left with a blank print.

or not.

Seriously, I'd bite the bullet and enter for the exposure.

MIchael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's not a bad idea Michael! Someone should invent a toner that bleaches out your print after a certain amount of time has passed. Like a very slow acting sepia bleacher.
    That would embarass many museum curators, gallery owners and collectors! The revenge of the rebellious photographer...
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Someone should invent a toner that bleaches out your print after a certain amount of time has passed.
    That would embarass many museum curators, gallery owners and collectors! The revenge of the rebellious photographer...
    I thought they already did and it was called inkjet ink.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    touche!
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good one, Diane.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's the analog equivalent of that... improperly fixed RC paper. That will silver out in a spectacularly ugly fashion, especially if you mount it on high-acid corrugated cardboard backing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin