Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,772   Online: 827

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nacio Jan Brown
    The internet is too vast and it's hard to imagine that any single site will ever approaching having the number of viewers of the picture weeklies. Even if it did the website visit would be brief compared to looking at a magazine and then later picking it up and flipping through it again.

If you're sick and tired of CNN, BBC, and NYT, try:

http://www.democracynow.org/

In the last few years, it's grown so rapidly, and I think that says something about what it takes to be an ideal place for journalism today.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks a lot for your comments once more, they gave me ideas and more important, directions.
    and thanks firecracker for the LA tip, unfortunately Im really far at the moment, living in Berlin and with no much money in my pockets.
    Its seems to me that specially in the area where most of you live (northamerica) there is this kind of non-future for journalism at all, i mean, the media is so manipulated by the big neo-capitalist people and enterprices that there´s no much hope to break into it or even become an alternative voice or ilustration. I dont know its just an idea, here in Berlin there´s a lot of movement regarding photography, but Im still not sure wether its on a "elite level".

s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The power of the press is a wonderful idea. All you need is a press.

The concurrence of post-modernism's devaluation of the worth of an image
    with the popular culture's insatiable apetite for celebrity have wiped the marketplace clean from one ideological end to the other.

There is no market for the truth, not in Berlin, Los Angeles, or Tokyo.

And so, no way to make the barest of incomes from photojournalism.

As a result, many superb photographers are working for little, or no, pay to document what is going on in the world today... so there will be a record.

If you want to begin to do the same, begin.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by blow
    thanks a lot for your comments once more, they gave me ideas and more important, directions.
    and thanks firecracker for the LA tip, unfortunately Im really far at the moment, living in Berlin and with no much money in my pockets.
    Its seems to me that specially in the area where most of you live (northamerica) there is this kind of non-future for journalism at all, i mean, the media is so manipulated by the big neo-capitalist people and enterprices that there´s no much hope to break into it or even become an alternative voice or ilustration. I dont know its just an idea, here in Berlin there´s a lot of movement regarding photography, but Im still not sure wether its on a "elite level".

s
    blow, I actually live in the rural part of Japan not far from Kyoto. I'm not even part of urban life. But I used to live in the U.S. for a number of years and got my education and work method there. And more or less, from time to time, I feel the same as you do. I'm not a pro, but I feel the urge to take photographs of what others don't.

So, in the last few years, I've found my photojournalistic subject to be the aftermath of natural disasters. Japan is a land full of all kinds of catastrophe, and it's small enough to travel around, dedicate myself as a volunteer to work in the disaster relief operations, and document what's going on. It's something I learned by taking advantages of my geographical location.

I cannot do this all the time, but when I can, I do. I kind of pick up the scenes what the big media intentionally and systematically misses out. But that part of my photo portfolio is still too small to show in public.

Good luck with your work.

firecracker

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I am really new here, but I wanted to ask the question. Is there a market for a magazine dedicated to these types of "photo essay" type stories? I mean a group like this that is derived from people all over the world would have the resources of those people to draw from. Perhaps maybe not a print mag, but an ezine? I know this is OT, but I thought I would ask.

Jeff C.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by childers-jk
    I am really new here, but I wanted to ask the question. Is there a market for a magazine dedicated to these types of "photo essay" type stories? I mean a group like this that is derived from people all over the world would have the resources of those people to draw from. Perhaps maybe not a print mag, but an ezine? I know this is OT, but I thought I would ask.

Jeff C.
    Hi, Jeff C. I'm not aware of any. "Days Japan" I mentioned earlier is a quasi-photojournalism magazine as far as I know: It's very slim and like a news collage with small pieces of articles and purchased news agencies photos all assembled togather to run their picture stories. By today's standard in practicing journalism, it's a big no-no and so un-ethical, but that tells me that that's how it survives as a small publication, and it needs to grow.

I think, instead using magazines, some people self-publish books with their own photo-essays and hope to sell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Self publishing is ABSOLUTELY possible.
    And desirable.

An e-zine, or bloggy-zine, which could be puchased as a .pdf,
    or a download in book form from Lulu or something like that
    is very possible.

Grants and gifts and contibutions can fund it.

The only trick is the need to keep the costs low.

That would suggest reporting on local issues,
    because the expense of travel will exceed the costs of production.
    Or, you can focus your travel to serve the need of your Journal.

I've designed one to do when I retire from commercial work in a couple years.
    I know of a couple others in the planning stages.

Small, specific, journals can be done beautifully and effectively.
    Possibly they can do some good.

Get off your butt and make some stories.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Self publishing is ABSOLUTELY possible.
    And desirable.

An e-zine, or bloggy-zine, which could be puchased as a .pdf,
    or a download in book form from Lulu or something like that
    is very possible.

Grants and gifts and contibutions can fund it.

The only trick is the need to keep the costs low.

That would suggest reporting on local issues,
    because the expense of travel will exceed the costs of production.
    Or, you can focus your travel to serve the need of your Journal.

I've designed one to do when I retire from commercial work in a couple years.
    I know of a couple others in the planning stages.

Small, specific, journals can be done beautifully and effectively.
    Possibly they can do some good.

Get off your butt and make some stories.

I like the idea of local stories put together by people who are interested in telling the story. This was sort of my reaction to this thread by Blow. But what to do with the story when it is done? This is where I think there could be a niche for the "old school" or "retro" style photo magazine, i.e. LIFE, etc. There could be an oppurtunity for this type of endvor, especaill given the rush of "retro" or vintage styles today.

I like the idea of an ezine, but in the spirit of analog photography and film based caputre, I think an old style magazine would be the perfect complement. Any thoughts?

I must apoloigze to Blow for hijacking this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Breaking into photojournalism/editorial photogpraphy is very much a "what you can produce" and "who you know" market.

1) What you can produce: I can't tell you how many portfolio's I've reviewed from photographers wanting to "break into photojournalism" that are chock full dull landscapes and and or abstract "fine art photos". Unfortunately, these folks never get a call back. Newspaper/magazine photo editors want to see images of people! People in a variety of situations that convey something (no matter how small) about the person or situation surrounding them. This doesn't have to be war victims and car accidents (please, no more photos of car wrecks! No one wants to see them anymore). I have seen portfolios that contain nothing but images of someone's friends and family that absolutely blew me away! Being able to show versatility and convey emotion is crucial. If you are considering submitting images on spec, be very careful. This is a good way to get taken advantage of.
    And getting published for "photo credit" is great once or twice but it's very easy to gain a rep as "the guy (or girl) willing to give their stuff away for nothing.

2) Who you know: Getting your stuff out there is only one part of it. Getting to know people in the business is essential because these are the folks that can get your stuff in front of the RIGHT people. Look at the work of photographers in your area that are doing the kind of stuff you are interested in. See if it would be possible for you to "shadow" them for a day or hell, ask them out to coffee. You'd be surprised how many working photographers are willing to share some of their experience. Chances are, someone gave them a break when they first started.

Also, consider joining the National Press Photographers Association (NPPA). It's not very expensive ($90.00 a year and that includes a subscription to News Photographer Magazine, the organizations highly respected monthly publication) The NPPA is the oldest association for photojournalists in the US and you don't have to "qualify" to join. You just need to have an interest in the profession. You can find a lot of information from organizations like the NPPA, ASMP, and EP (Editorial Photographers). Their websites contain a wealth of info about the business, journalistic ethics, etc.
    For reference, those websites are: www.nppa.org, www.asmp.org, and www.editorialphoto.com. In fact, EP has a great little page on "starting out" with advice from top shooters in the biz. Here's the link: http://www.editorialphoto.com/resources/startingout.asp

Cheers,
    Mark
    -- If film is dead, then how come I can't buy a Leica for 20 bucks? --

Mark Greenberg
    Editorial & Commercial Photographer
    www.markgreenbergphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Last night I was watching a series of old short documentaries produced by Japan's national public broadcasting company, NHK, and I was pretty stunned. They were so well made and far better than the ones in the recent years. I couldn't believe they were TV documentaries.

In the mid-60's, there were environmental pollution and contamination problems in a small industrial city Yokkaichi, west of Nagoya. Back then, there's hardly any strict law to protect the environment, and a number of companies, despite all the claims and complaints from the city and its residents, kept blowing black smoke in the air and dumping chemicals right into the Yokkaichi bay.

The people there were suffering from asthma heavily and a more than a thousand were hospitalized. The local fishermen were worried because the water was so smelly, and they were getting funny dead fish there. So, they got together, sued the companies, and won the case, the first criminal case against air pollution, according to the documentaries.

Among them, there was a man, I think he was a local government employee, who was in charge of recording the events, took his camera, started snapping pictures with his own interest. Later his photos were published as a book, which turned out to be the rare visual record for this part of the history in his city because as time went by, in the early 90's the city dropped its support for the victims of this environmental catastrophe.

He's no W. Eugene Smith, but some of his shots had as much impact on me as the shots from Minamata by the famous photorapher. I'm glad that I've found the local guy, and I live in the next town.

It was clear that some people in the city wanted to forget it and move on. They just wanted to not talk about it any more. But the story doesn't end there.

What is really ironic today is that one of the companies from that time period has committed a crime again. This time, this comany took a different approach by secretly mixing its undisposable toxic waste into a product and selling it as a soil fertilizer. What's worse is that the local prefectual government had approved the product and helped the company to sell it more.

At least in four locations in the surrounding area, this fake product has been used, and it is contaminating the environment. By the way this is not part of the documentaries but something I read in the newspaper.

Overall, what was essentially good about these documentaries was that they were partly shot black and white on 16mm motion-picture film (that was the standard before color film and video), and the contrast between the local residents' houses and the thick black smoke coming out of the chemical plants was so vivid and perhaps memorable. And the use of a telephoto zoom lens with a shallow depth of field made the subjects in each shot look very close to each other as if the old part and the new part of the community were so inseparable.

Anyway, I got a lot out of those one and a half hours last night before I went to sleep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin