Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,117   Online: 813

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if we draw a line in the sand and say "you can't cross this line cause it won't be photography" it really won't matter because someone else will redraw the line in a different place.

instead of us obsessing over differences in technique and materials, we should embrace what is the same, the whole world will be better because of it.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just want to clear up the fact that I am not anti digital, I don't care what medium is used to capture an image. I also accept that working in photoshop requires skill and talent in the same way that darkroom work does. I also accept the arguments regarding veritas.
    I obviously made my point badly (as well as apparently being in a foul mood - I have re read my post, put it down to the return of daughter from Uni for Easter :-))
    However I do find it worrying that the marketing men have managed to persuade the world that in order to take a good photograph you just need an expensive camera, a big card, and something to point it at. It's the Shakespeare/Monkeys/Typewriters kind of argument.
    It just leaves me a bit sad.
    However there's obviously nothing like an ill tempered rant to get everyone discussing things in a frank manner, I like this siter because people can do that without too much flameing. I am going away to contemplate the world now, thanks to all contributers. Mea Culpa :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    There seems to be a tendency amongst some contributors to imply that if a photograph does not depict reality, it cannot be art.
    What IS reality?

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    What IS reality?

Michael
    I really hate posting copied definitions. LOL!

re·al·i·ty

1. The quality or state of being actual or true.
    2. A photography that is altered extensively represents reality for many
    3. TV shows where seasoned idiots jump through hoops of fire for a chance to win cash and prizes. AKA: Reality TV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tools is tools. Pictures is pictures. Art is art. Not copied definitions.
    It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about your photographs or the method by which you create them. If you are in business you deliver what your client expects and pays for. If you are shooting for yourself, you do whatever the heck you want. Who cares what anyone thinks?

Don't let anybody tell you one thing is better than another. If all of the critics in the world tell you that you suck, you're probably on the right track. Just shoot.

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by DannL
    I really hate posting copied definitions. LOL!

re·al·i·ty

1. The quality or state of being actual or true.
    One must always be careful of the illusions that one buys into.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    One must always be careful of the illusions that one buys into.

Michael
    Michael,

Easy now...your mind has sharpened extraordinarily in your absence. We mere mortals are apt to look like pretzels when you start...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What IS reality?

Michael

In this case, it is that which is absent when, to quote myself: "some contributors seem to imply that if a photograph does not depict reality, it cannot be art" :-)

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    For me the thing to do has been to get down to what I view as serious photography, and damn what somebody else says, or thinks about the format I use. There is no question that the results of traditional analog photography,are photography, so if that is your medium, you don't need to worry if or not something else is or is not.

Working in traditional methods bring the benefit of not needing to re-learn and re-up every 15min. You get to concentrate on your photography .

It's like the turtle and the hare.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin