Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,694   Online: 687

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    This is a building where people work. How would you like it if your boss painted a mural of someone getting hanged in the foyer? Would you enjoy walking by it every day? Should they preserve every leaflet or poster that has been displayed in the building for historical purposes?
    Sorry it is a 'working building' hang the historical shit in a museum.
    That is a good point. I would agree wholeheartedly if it was a private building. It is not a private building it is a public building. It was built with public funds to do the people's business. I would assume that it was not haphazardly adorned, but adorned to reflect the people it was built to serve and to reflect the purpose of the building.

How is it different today for a worker to walk by the murals than it was 60 years ago?

This thing has such great value in its current context.

What do we learn when we whitewash every unsavory event? If ever there should be a lesson on justice it is in a courthouse and this thing sounds like a masters thesis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "What do we learn when we whitewash every unsavory event? If ever there should be a lesson on justice it is in a courthouse and this thing sounds like a masters thesis."

You mean like removing the Ten Commandments from court buildings? tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exactly! My only problems with the Ten Commandments being on display are that 1) it is often done at the exclusion of other items of equal and greater significance. Our laws are not built upon the Ten Commandments, and this is the distinction that seems to be lost in the debate 2) The intent of those promoting the display.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    That is a good point. I would agree wholeheartedly if it was a private building. It is not a private building it is a public building. It was built with public funds to do the people's business. I would assume that it was not haphazardly adorned, but adorned to reflect the people it was built to serve and to reflect the purpose of the building.
    Public buildings are refurbished every 20 years or so. Why are the standards for what a worker is supposed to expect in the decor any different for public employees? Maybe they should keep the original furniture and toilets too.

How is it different today for a worker to walk by the murals than it was 60 years ago?

This thing has such great value in its current context.

What do we learn when we whitewash every unsavory event? If ever there should be a lesson on justice it is in a courthouse and this thing sounds like a masters thesis.
    It has no value in the current context. It is a place of business with certain goals. Educating people about hangings (in a partial sense) is not one of them. I expect a large amount of taxpayer dollars are going to be spent debating this artwork. For all we know it maybe amaturish and ugly too.

Do you think that every parent that has to drag a kid down that hallway really wants to explain what is going on to their five-year-old?

If you know any Native American Indians you will find that they are tired of being defined by their history instead of who they are now.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have seen the mural in question, it is not ugly, but it does depict an ugly part of the past in America, I think it should be preserved and placed in a Museum, it is not appropriate for a Public Building, but don't take me wrong, I am not advocating hiding our past, but I think there are appropriate places to display things of this nature, just as there is appropriate places to remember the past concerning the Holocoust, the depiction of native american and US events of the past, have a tendancy to generate quite a stir here in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Public buildings are refurbished every 20 years or so. Why are the standards for what a worker is supposed to expect in the decor any different for public employees? Maybe they should keep the original furniture and toilets too.
    Toilets and art are two very distinct objects. A better example would be if I think we should change the sculptures and art every 20 years. The answer would be maybe.

It has no value in the current context. It is a place of business with certain goals. Educating people about hangings (in a partial sense) is not one of them. I expect a large amount of taxpayer dollars are going to be spent debating this artwork. For all we know it maybe amaturish and ugly too.
    It has great value. It is a public building that deals in justice. Its business is justice. The depiction of a lynching is all about justice.

Do you think that every parent that has to drag a kid down that hallway really wants to explain what is going on to their five-year-old?
    That might be hoping for too much, but yes!

If you know any Native American Indians you will find that they are tired of being defined by their history instead of who they are now.
    I do not see this as defining Native Americans. It in fact defines the non natives.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can't have one without the other. Try reading 'The Golden Bough' and maybe you will understand indigenous cultures better.

I do not see this as defining Native Americans. It in fact defines the non natives.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

It has great value. It is a public building that deals in justice. Its business is justice. The depiction of a lynching is all about justice.
    This makes some sense, but then I ask, isn`t the courthouse the symbol of a more tolerant law system? Isn`t lynching a barbaric concept, maybe lawless even?
    But again, mrcallow has a point, can be also interpreted as an evolution from a barbarian phase to a more civilized one.

Tricky, all the points presented here are indeed very valid.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    lynchings by definition are lawless acts. It was lawless in 1940 and it is today. It was an incredible choice for a courthouse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So if it showed the hanging of a white horse thief, that would be OK?

Idaho did hang people in the prisons awhile back so that method of execution was legal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin