Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,377   Online: 960

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transcendence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWKate
    Peter,

That's great! Hope it didn't cost too much! Well, I guess that doesn't matter when you love an image and get to enjoy it.
    You and Peter are making me sick with jealousy...

--Eddy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Oops...bit of a rant there...don't want folks thinking art school is just babbling and finger painting
    Murray
    P.S. Artists dislike lawyers...until we need one!
    Murray - I wasn't trying to say that art school sounded like less work, or less pressure - I was just observing that it sounded like the work and the pressure might have been more fun!

Actually, law school wasn't bad. There were a number of incredibly interesting, intelligent and creative people (including at least one other lover of photography) in my class, and just being around people like that is inspirational.

All the best,
    Matt

P.S. - Lawyers like artists, they just don't like that they don't think like lawyers.
    P.P.S. - Lawyers really like posties, but we complain about the mail anyways.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    Murray - I wasn't trying to say that art school sounded like less work, or less pressure - I was just observing that it sounded like the work and the pressure might have been more fun!
    Hi again Matt,

Sorry if I incorrectly read between the lines...must have been the wine..?

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    ...Which makes one ask, why continue working to advance when the dramatic rewards are so few?
    If dramatic rewards were easy or predictable their value would be considerably diminished.

However, if the path you are following does not seem to be leading toward your desired results, you have some choices:
    1. Continue forward in the dark, staying your course.
    2. Choose or create another path.
    3. Become more aware and interested in your current path's actual destination.
    4. Realize that the journey is the actual reward.
    Be also aware that if you have a specific goal in mind, you may be losing track simply because instead of exploring what your pictures may contain, you are instead trying to verify experiences and picture possibilities that you already know.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi bjorke,

I'll take 100% of both c and d, but 50% of b...you just never know if you'll stumble upon a clearer path

I don't know if I could ever have one of these transcendent experiences with photography. In Carmel, I can't remember which gallery, I was shown some prints in drawers and was blown away by a Wynn Bullock print of a dark, wet, weathered log and its root system on a sandy beach. Sorry - can't remember the title.

If any photograph was going to do it I think it would've been that one, but it raised so many technical questions...was the negative given + development? What paper - developer - toner? Were swings and tilts used to accentuate the roots? How long did it take him to set his camera in that singular spot to have all the compositional elements so balanced? Am I capable of such beautiful compositional control?...that I stayed at the blown away level.

With my own work it probably will never happen, because I know their dark little secrets...such as what the scene photographed was really like, and that the print value III darkly threatening storm cloud actually fell on the negative at zone VII...so I find each time I look at them I'm continually questioning the choices made.

I'm in total agreement with you, in that the path of an artist is never following wagon ruts in the dark. But what a fine balance it is to have the neccessary commitment to refine your craft, yet not become blinded to new, clearer means of expression.

Art...what a life!

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 04-22-2006 at 12:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin