Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,597   Online: 1177

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    I walked away knowing people in positions of power can be blind.

Have you had comments made about your work that's stuck with you over the years, and why?
    They can be blind in ways other than artistic ones. They may have you nailed as to technique and how expressive your vision is or isn't, but may be psychologically ignorant enough to deliver their critique in a way that discourages.

Since the only bona fides which count with me is a photographer's work, I discount any comments from photographers I don't know or whose work does not impress me. This includes complimentary remarks as well as damning ones.

The best critiques I've received were insightful and instructive enough to show me the error of my ways, often very blunt, but not crossing the line which prompts me to say in anger, "I don't need this abuse. I'm giving this shit up." Michael Smith is a master at this. He's said some pretty rough things about prints I'd showed him in the beginning, but the end result was mastery of my craft. He knows just how far to push the indignation envelope to get maximum motivation out of the protege he's critiquing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to diminish the importance of the topic, we've had other discussions about critiques here, and I think they've all been fairly inconclusive. Giving someone else a critique of their work, or even just a single photograph, is an art in itself. Not everyone is good at it, as the experience of many critique-ees would suggest.

Perhaps the best critiques are those in which a level of interactivity is possible - that is, a discussion of the image (or, body of work), and the intent or motivations behind it, rather than simply impressions without context.

I think it's also important to put critiques in the context of being just one person's opinion - even if that one opinion is important to you. Photography, like most arts and/or crafts, is a means of communication. Not everyone will get the same message, or have the same impression of an image. Thus, the relevance of the critiques is perhaps better viewed as a pool of comments, enabling you to determine whether your "communication methods" are working for a majority of people. Even then, however, that has to be balanced with the desire for self-expression.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Photography, like most arts and/or crafts, is a means of communication. Not everyone will get the same message, or have the same impression of an image. Thus, the relevance of the critiques is perhaps better viewed as a pool of comments, enabling you to determine whether your "communication methods" are working for a majority of people. Even then, however, that has to be balanced with the desire for self-expression.
    That quote is getting jotted down, and will join the other quotes on my darkroom wall

Comments are mostly like water off a ducks back to me, as the last sentence in your qoute pretty much sums it up. I have found though, that if a comment sticks in my craw and pisses me off, there's usually a kernel of truth to it.

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Murray your exactly right!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Comments are mostly like water off a ducks back to me...
    That was blasted off without much thought when I was home for lunch, and I could have chosen my words more carefully. I was thinking in terms of a critique or when somebody is giving advice, not when somebody is giving an unsolicited emotional reaction to my stuff...I'll never tire of that!

Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeanette that was not me that was my evil twin bro.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is my all time favourite comment and I've had it a few times. "That's a great photo, you must have a great camera". I don't get deflated anymore.

Regards

Kathy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh Claire!!! How Ms-Anne-Thrope-ic of you.

Admit it...you like being liked here on APUG, you curmudgeon

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by katcall
    This is my all time favourite comment and I've had it a few times. "That's a great photo, you must have a great camera". I don't get deflated anymore.

Regards

Kathy
    I think my all time favorite is "So, what do you do, just walk around and take pictures?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you had comments made about your work that's stuck with you over the years, and why?

Murray
    hi murray

when i got out of school i showed my former photo teacher my portfolio. after we looked at it together and chatted for a few hours, he suggested that i contact aaron siskind, who used to teach at risd, and was living on the east side of providence.

i called aaron, and we agreed upon a date that i could show him some of my work. i arrived and he invited me in. he looked through my portfolio, it took about 2 minutes, then told me i was wasting my time with photography, to throw away my camera --- nothing else.

he then took me to lunch at a little bistro where he and the 4 or 5 17year old waitresses flirted with eachother the whole meal.
    he said in a loud showman-type voice "you can have anything on the whole menu."

i ordered a grilled cheese sandwich.

then almost shouting he said " i have a pacemaker in my chest, touch it, touch it!" i did, just to keep him from embarrassing me any more.

on the way back to his house he insisited we stop at a lady friend's place. it was in her garage, that he was storing all his posters. she opened it and out of it came my door prize, one of his posters! it wasn't the only thing i got, he shook his finger at me and in a threatening way said, "i take photos like this, don't you ever!"

i dropped him off, and drove home.
    im empty, good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin