Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,588   Online: 1103

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In recent years, I've come to adopt a more relaxed attitude about image ideas, similar to what Donald describes, and often share my thoughts with those who are willing, or are forced, to listen. I'm not too fearful, however, because the number of people with minds as twisted as mine are few. Who else, for example, would construct a swimming pool, albeit a small one, just so a rubber mouse could fake his demise?

The challenge was that he didn't float.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    I don't even mention them. I just think of something and it shows up in the gallery. :o
    Aw, geez, David... I'm sorry. hahaha!

I think it's possible to go along thinking about an idea, and suddenly, you meet someone (or a couple someones) who are on the same wavelength as you... they have either taken the shots you've thought about, or are in the process. This can have an interesting effect... you can either decide not to pursue those ideas for fear of someone accusing you of copying, or you can go ahead and shoot away with your own vision.

I think the bigger problem is in not shooting anything... you can become 'frozen' into inactivity if you take too much time to think about things. That's not to say you should go about shooting 'willy-nilly'...make a plan, make decisions, but in the end... make photos.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OMG, Ralph! hahahaha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Troy
    i've had feelings like your at times, and have been annoyed that others may use 'my' idea and get credit that should have been mine
    but ultimately i've come to realise that everything has been done or is being done and these concerns can become an excuse for not getting on with the work
    i always strive to do my work my way, then if it comes under scrutiny and comparison with other work it stands or falls on it's merits
    i just checked out your website, nice images but why your name so large
    maybe you need to not hold on so close and so tight

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    Write it up in fancy words and I'd be shocked if the NEA didn't give you a bucket of cash to go from town to town documenting those three landmarks. ...of course, I could be wrong :rolleyes:
    Since I need the money I would do just that, but the NEA stopped giving grants to individual artists after that Piss Christ thing.

those will always be the water tower, grain elevator and church steeple ...representing the universal requirements for commerce, survival infrastructure and (apparently) spirituality in man
    I think one of those three you mentioned would be replaced by a cell-phone tower.

Which is funny because I drove past one of the radio towers that are horrible disguised as a very tall tree and I said right then that I should make pictures of a bunch of these things. I am sure they have been photographed before but that isn't going to keep me from doing it the next time I see it, and seeking them out in the future--

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    In recent years, I've come to adopt a more relaxed attitude about image ideas, similar to what Donald describes, and often share my thoughts with those who are willing, or are forced, to listen. I'm not too fearful, however, because the number of people with minds as twisted as mine are few. Who else, for example, would construct a swimming pool, albeit a small one, just so a rubber mouse could fake his demise?

The challenge was that he didn't float.

Ralph, I love it....LOL

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I could see withholding project or concept information in a competitive situation. But I have never withheld any information photographique when it would benefit another's mastering of the craft.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    I In fact, here's an idea that's gauranteed to be good for a NEA grant that I'll throw out for anyone to take: drive through any small US midwestern town and photograph the three highest points visible -- those will always be the water tower, grain elevator and church steeple ...representing the universal requirements for commerce, survival infrastructure and (apparently) spirituality in man. Write it up in fancy words and I'd be shocked if the NEA didn't give you a bucket of cash to go from town to town documenting those three landmarks. ...of course, I could be wrong :rolleyes:

these days you mean neh grant, not nea ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    "... Who else, for example, would construct a swimming pool, albeit a small one, just so a rubber mouse could fake his demise...?"
    DARN! I was gonna do that! You took my idea, Ralph!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Throw a little match on some kindling in the morning...take the kids to the year-end tournament for their peewee basketball league...come back and find a nice blaze going...

I was in the middle of trying to reply to this when I left-clicked my mouse and lost 20 minutes of typing...so I'll try again...

Many folks directed comments at me, so I'll try to respond to each in reverse order with individual replies with quotes. That will keep me from losing the whole shooting match at once again...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin