Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,755   Online: 889

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Hi Troy,

Perhaps you hold your photographic future project cards close to your chest for the same reasons you became a biologist, because it's just the way you're made up. Maybe it's not so much having people scoop your ideas than you don't want anybody to see it until you've carefully researched, carefully completed, and come to a satisfying end to the project. Then again...

As for me? I tend to not work on projects but will try to empty myself of any preconceptions before setting out, open myself to the essence of an area, and will try to photograph more as a conduit - a 'spirit of place' documentary photographer for lack of a better description.

Later, if a project comes to mind, I'll go through my negatives and find the sequence of images that best fit the bill. I'm working on one right now...and NO I will NOT tell you what it is because you're just up the coast from me and it's such a kick-ass great idea I know you'll scoot down here, scoop me, and sail off into the sunset on the winds of fame and glory

Murray
    Hi Murray,
    I suspect you are pretty close to the truth with your first stab. I like to work things out, mull them over, examine every aspect to them, and present work that is substantially finished without gaping holes. I enjoy the process of thought and preparation that goes into this.

I think in the end I'm a strange photographer. As I'm strange in every other aspect of life. I'm not really interested in photojournalism. But I definitely give myself assignments and my landscapes are also often part of a project with a documentary theme in mind. One of my landscape projects involves images that resulted from a trip that I made annually for years, then finally took photographic equipment along one time. Many of those images were planned years ahead of time. Others came because I had the camera along that one time when the image presented itself...

And actually...I'm not just up the coast from you...you have big luscious trees and forest undergrowth...we are so far west that we have tundra with a few sickly stands of spruce trees that are lucky to get 40 feet tall...

But I appreciate your undeserved confidence in me, and I'll enjoy just thinking about the sunset, fame and glory...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Boutwell
    I was at a workshop and someone had a few, maybe six pictures of a project they were working on. I said to myself, "I could do that so much better, maybe I will." But nothing has come from it since. Mostly because the idea didn't originate from within and so I didn't feel close to it. It has been in my mind but it is safe to say that nothing will come from it.

I came to realize that the best photographs come from things that are close to you. It might be a place or an idea, but it is something that you are emotionally connected to.

So, from that standpoint you shouldn't worry that other people will photograph your ideas, because no matter what, they will not make the same pictures that you would.

BUT

You are right, what if someone beats you to something specific and they have more time, energy, and money and they put a big show together and get a book published? You then come around to complete your project, but by that time you are influenced by what they did, and no matter how good your pictures might be the public will see them as emulative.

I generally don't guard what I am working on or what I plan on photographing, but I don't announce the specifics to the world either. If I am excited about new pictures I am making, or something new I am working on then I talk about it with friends. Some of whom are photographers. They might just steal my ideas, but with that in mind I usually work harder to get it done first.
    Richard,
    I know exactly what you are saying...I've had similar experiences, and you've pretty well defined some of the reasons I am cautious with my ideas, as well as why I often think I might just turn around and put them all out for everyone to see...though I haven't talked myself into that yet... I've encountered some other reasons that I suspect are underlying my choices through the process of replying to the various other respondents...

To everyone patient enough to have read these responses...
    My apologies for the number of posts. I tried to do this all in one, but after losing that post and starting over, I couldn't risk another complete loss...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon
    Hi John,
    Your technical expertise is greater than mine...I don't really have any great technical secrets. Just a fussy eye and a nitpicky nature in the darkroom. And I totally agree that two people can see the same thing. But I also think two people can see the same thing and make virtually the same image but each image can feel completely different, though nearly identical...

hi troy --

i don't really have any huge technical secrets, i just have a really open mind, and capitalize on all the mistakes i make, and strangely enough i like the way my mistakes "look" more than the prints that are supposed to be "technically correct" --- and believe me, i've made some really bad mistakes, some of which i have never been able to do more than once, and i am really wishing that wasn't the case
    crap, i did it now, i gave away my secrets (experiment and make lots of mistakes) ...

-john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I really don't think any 2 shooters are going to approach a subject the same way. Subject matters have been exhausted. But new ideas and aproaches are wide open so to share ideas I think there is more benefit to talking them through than holding on to tight. Sometimes just by communicating an idea it grows. Even if someone walks away with the ideas and try to create (or Steal) their instincs would never be able to assimulate and project what your own experiances have evolved this idea in the first place. Besides having an idea is only the beginning. The first of many, many steps towards a final image or a body of images that illustrates your idea. toward that end it is all yours.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    35mm
    All I know is I can only learn from my own experience, and mostly of the time, I stick to the ideas I develop in the beginning all the way to the end in the process of making and delivering images.

How successsfuly or not successfuly I do it depends on how much I try, and there's no time to worry about other people stealing my ideas because they are not walking in the same path as I am.

This sounds a bit too self-righteous, but that's pretty much it for me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    And actually...I'm not just up the coast from you..
    In the Earth encircling context of APUG you are!

Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    If an idea ever came into my empty head it would rattle around and self distruct. Other than that I am not telling.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph...I love the image. How did you prop him up so he was level?
    Troy - I intentionally left a clue in image. So far, however, no one has noticed it.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Troy - I intentionally left a clue in image. So far, however, no one has noticed it.
    I think ol' Mickey looks like he met his demise in a pan of Jello! haha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was wondering about Jello, but how would you get it so clear? Or is it always that clear?... His hands do look as if they are resting on the top of Jello, but the feet are submerged...I don't know Ralph, you got me thinking but I'm not sure...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin