Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,437   Online: 957

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get the refund and move on.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's this kind of nonsense that has me almost entirely done with ebay for good...or ill for that matter. I've just bought a lens for my P67 from Keh.com and been 100% satisfied. In fact, it's better than I could have expected for a lens graded EX...I can find only one miniscule scratch on the thing...and the price was just too good to pass up. Ebay might make sense if you can't find what you'd like to buy anywhere else, but there are just too many decent second hand outlets with ongoing reputations to uphold to take a chance on ebay.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My 'getting screwed' ratio is about 20:1, and I am far ahead where money is concerned. Sure it is safer (and sometimes cheaper) buying from KEH but most of the time you pay for the convenience.
    You can get stuff for pennies if you take into account photos, sellers past history, end date, etc.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have generally had good luck on eBay. Those problems that have arisen have been resolved. If you do not feel comfortable with the purchase, return it.

As to Jovo's comments about KEH. They have some of the most conservative ratings for their used equipment. I have been very happy with my used purchases from KEH and Midwest photo to name a few.
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=rrankin]

You are getting all your money including postage both ways. What more can the guy do?
    .................................................. .................................................. .........

Exactly Richard, he is doing all that he can. The thing that riled me was the tone in which his emails were written.
    I, As many others, sell on Ebay and know how hard it is to build up a good reputation. Too many people jump in there and start sending out negative feedbacks without weighing up all the Pro's and cons, hense this thread.

I always do my homework before bidding on an item and this fella was sqeeky clean, so it has shocked me in the stance he dicided to take. A 'well, what do you expect for something that is 40 years old' attitude. Sorry, it does not wash, My Rollei was made in 1939 and went through a war, yet it is not dented!
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    He's given you everything you could possibly get under any scenario and yet you are the one who still seems dissatisfied.

Not dissatisfied. I'm fortunate enough for my wallet to take the knock, there are many others who are not. My concern was for other people, not myself. If this seller is willing to deceive, I would be happy enough to lose the money and put it down to experience in order to stop someone less fortunate from losing out. This is about principle, and attitude, not money. I live in a world of politness and respect, it costs nothing.

I thank you all for your response, I will take my money and move on as alot of you have suggested. Wise words I say.

Kind Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Stoo,

I've had three somewhat similar experiences in the past two months - two by a guy in the UK and one here in the States. I have cut my Ebaying way back now. I just don't want the hassles. But I've been screwed by a tradesman standing there looking me in the eye as well, so it isn't an Ebay only problem. It's a greed coupled with incompetence problem, IMO.

It's too bad we can't make an "I've been conned by..." list here. Thats what the feedback is supposed to be on Ebay but it doesn't work at all. Some people cannot be pleased no matter what and other people are extremely aggressive. Who needs it?

I just pay everything via Paypal using a credit card. Then, if Paypal won't reverse the charge, the credit company will do it in a heartbeat, at least in the US. Australia is different and I don't know about UK credit card companies.

But if I get my money, I move on!

Cheers,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also cut back on Ebay unless there's an absolute steal or something I just can't find anywhere else. The main reason is price. I can phone up a couple of used equipment dealers and buy direct from them cheaper than Ebay plus I get the consumer protection afforded by a retail outlet.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    But if he uses the same pictures next time, I might consider warning potential buyers...
    And if those "potential buyers" (i.e. people who have placed a bid) report your contact to eBay, you may be suspended for auction interference.

Take the refund. As for feedback, if you don't do any selling on the ID you won the auction on, feel free to make your statement with a negative feedback. A retaliatory neg won't affect your ability to bid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have only been burned once in the close to 9 years i have been ebaying.
    but in all the transactions i have had, i have had some really good times too.

i bought a monocular-viewer for a toyo camera - one that i know new would have cost over a hunderd dollars new, and on ebay they weren't going for much less than that ... a guy was selling it on ebay - cheep! i bought it - then he realized it was a different item than he had advertised - and rather than call off the whole thing, and risk negative feedback, he sold it to me for the price the auction ended on ... he knew he had sold it for about 60$ less than he could have gotten it for, but he realized an honest deal is an honest deal.

needlesstosay, i don't ebay as much as i would like. kids can't eat a lens
    -john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rrankin
    Stoo,
    It's too bad we can't make an "I've been conned by..." list here.
    Why can't we? It really would be useful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin