Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,982   Online: 852

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Conned on Ebay!!!

Sorry if this is in the wrong Forum!
    I feel Iv'e been conned, or am I just being a bit too sensative?

I won an Item, a Rollei bayonet 1 Lense hood. Seller Mike366, described it as in 'very good condition'.

When I received the hood, it had a dent in it on the underneath, where it says 'Germany'. I emailed the seller through Ebay, saying it was wrongly described. He answered a bit flippently that IHO, He described it well for a 40 year old item, and to send it back and he would refund my money. I refused this offer as I would lose the postage money.

When I looked at the Item description again, I noticed what he had cleverly done. Posted two Photo's of the item. 'Photo 1', an image of the lenshood up for auction, showing the case plus the top view, with the Rollei emblem showing. Then 'Photo 2' the case plus a view of the bottom of the lenshood, showing the 'Germany' marking. All looked in top condition.

On further inspection, I noticed that the cases and lensehoods were too different items, and to make things even worse, 'Photo 2' was of a Rollei 2 bayonet, and dopey old me hadn't even noticed. Then why would I look? I mean, this is a good honest seller, 100% feedback, seller of over 1000 items.

I Emailed him again telling him of my findings, and that he had set out to deceive, which is tantamount to fraud. He offered no explanation or reason for the images of two different items, nor denied my accusations.

He has since offered me a refund on the items and postage both ways.

My question to you Guys and Girls is:

Do I accept his offer, ask him to refund me the money, and then send the Item back?

Accept the Item as it is, It is usable, but with an ugly dent in it, and put it down to a bad experience?

Or report him to Ebay?, after all, he is only going to relist the item again, and con someone else.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on this one.

Regards

Stoo

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would accept the refund. The next buyer might have a differnt idea of what to expect from a "very fine" 40 year item.

But if he uses the same pictures next time, I might consider warning potential buyers...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I would accept the refund. The next buyer might have a differnt idea of what to expect from a "very fine" 40 year item.

But if he uses the same pictures next time, I might consider warning potential buyers...
    I agree with Ole.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you got a good price and can live with the dent, I'd chalk it up to a learning experience and forget about it. If you do enough deals on the auction site, eventually you'll have one that doesn't go perfectly.

As for the other options, if you truly cannot live with the imperfection, accept his offer and return it and leave positive feedback for his willingness to make it right. The idea of 'turning him in' to the auction site is probably a waste of time. In this instance fraud would be challenging to prove, I think. And at the end of the day, the auction site does a poor job of forcing people to behave in a certain way.

Hey, we cannot force people to do unto others as we would, and trying to is just futile. I appreciate how frustrated you must be, but I would look for the path that caused me the least aggravation while providing an acceptable outcome.

YMMV
    Neal

Shooter
    Large Format
    Send it back and get your money. You will never be satisfied with it, and you'll find another, better hood.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree. If you're dissatisfied and the seller offers a refund including shipping both ways, that's a pretty good response. Most sellers won't refund shipping.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send it back, get your money and start looking for another one, leave him positive feedback for making it right and get on with life, many things happen in the uproar of an auction, at least he is willing to refund postage both ways and give you your money back, it will be up to the next guy when he lists it, as has been said in the past and will be in the future, buyer beware, is the best route to follow.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is possible that he screwed up the pictures on accident. If he was malicious he could of put a new picture on his server with a dent.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor
    He has since offered me a refund on the items and postage both ways.
    I feel your pain. I would take the refund. That is more than many sellers would offer, and charge the experience to “caveat emptor”.

Just today, I rec'd a lens in the mail - that I won on April 2 (this should give you a hint.)

The entire description reads:

"Up for auction is one Nikon EL-NIKKOR Lens 105mm/5.6 Enlarger Lens. There are no scratches on the lens and the threads are fine."

Plus, a single picture of the lens, from the side. This is from a seller with 100% positive feedback.

Well, it was filthy - although not scratched and cleaned up OK (some dust inside, but that’s expected). The threads are "fine", but the rear barrel is dented, meaning it's likely that the thing has been dropped at some point in its life. Also, both rims are pitted and have all the paint worn off.

Still, I paid $21 for a Nikon lens, and chances are it's OK. (I’ll make prints with it soon) I cleaned, it, mounted it in the enlarger and was able to focus, adjust the aperture, etc. Even if it isn't, I've been fine on 95% of the Ebay purchases I've made. (and my wife and I have made 100's). It's all a crap shoot - bid accordingly.

Good luck.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have to go with Satinsnow Dave on this one. As to the photo mixup, if you have listed multiple items on Ebay, you know that it is easy to mess up. If you tell it you are listing some items that have similarities to save your typing and clicking time, it 'remembers' things and you may forget to over-ride all of them.

You are getting all your money including postage both ways. What more can the guy do? He's given you everything you could possibly get under any scenario and yet you are the one who still seems dissatisfied. Just don't deal with him again.

Cheers,
    Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin