Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,710   Online: 744

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Why do we have a Classified seller who has never posted to a thread?

I saw vdeal's ad in the classified section for a Berlebach Report 8043 Wooden tripod. It is priced with shipping extra so I searched to see a post this person had made in hopes a location was mentioned in the member description. I show Bath, OH. Some others mention their location.

Who is this person, who has never made a post to APUG and has listed three items? How long has this person been with us? Where is this person's member information? Who left the door open? There goes the comfort level.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 04-26-2006 at 09:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The member you are refering to is a subscriber and as such can post classifieds. AFAIK there are no restrictions to the number of posts that a subscriber must have to be able to post classifieds. I am not saying this is good or bad - just stating the rules as I know them.

BTW, this member joined on 03-27-2006 as per the profile page.

Edit: I think this thread would be better suited to "Feedback and Discussion" rather than "Ethics and Philosophy". My $0.02.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There currently are no limitations to the classifieds other than needing to be a subscriber. It's possible to have a lurker that has not posted but wants to sell something, or a person who wants to subscribe only to list a few items. In the past driveby ad posters got away with free ads, now they have to subscribe. If this is getting abused I can look into it further but it gets tricky. If you say "you must be a subscriber and have 50posts to list an ad, then you'll probably end up with people posting nonsense until they hit 50posts, etc. As always buyer beware and try to know and learn who you are dealing with, similar to ebay. Things will be much better in june when the revamp of the site goes in and you can obtain more details of the sellers rather than having to dig around the site..

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    There currently are no limitations to the classifieds other than needing to be a subscriber. It's possible to have a lurker that has not posted but wants to sell something, or a person who wants to subscribe only to list a few items. In the past driveby ad posters got away with free ads, now they have to subscribe. If this is getting abused I can look into it further but it gets tricky. If you say "you must be a subscriber and have 50posts to list an ad, then you'll probably end up with people posting nonsense until they hit 50posts, etc. As always buyer beware and try to know and learn who you are dealing with, similar to ebay. Things will be much better in june when the revamp of the site goes in and you can obtain more details of the sellers rather than having to dig around the site..
    As always Sean, thank you for what you have done and for the changes you plan for the future. I hope this works out well for you financially, because it certainly has been good for me.

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sensanjay
    The member you are refering to is a subscriber and as such can post classifieds. AFAIK there are no restrictions to the number of posts that a subscriber must have to be able to post classifieds. I am not saying this is good or bad - just stating the rules as I know them.

BTW, this member joined on 03-27-2006 as per the profile page.

Edit: I think this thread would be better suited to "Feedback and Discussion" rather than "Ethics and Philosophy". My $0.02.
    Sanjay,

Thank you for the information and thoughts. I chose Ethics because I felt it was a question of Ethics. My opinion. I look forward to seeing what June and Sean bring us.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMO The Chap is arguably contributing in two ways:

1. By paying a subsciption (yes, mine has lapsed and will be renewed soon!)
    2. By offering an item for sale which is very possibly of interest to memebers of this forum

Personally I dont have an issue with a subscribing 'stranger' offering relevant items. If he was selling pixel cases with links to his ebay 'Inkjetorama' store that would be different. A Berlebach tripod is very APUG! I have two.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some folks just aren't into spending time like us on an internet community forum. In fact, I also know few people who take pictures without digital cameras! Go figure.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Boy are you going to meet a bunch next week.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Some folks just aren't into spending time like us on an internet community forum. In fact, I also know few people who take pictures without digital cameras! Go figure.

Regards, Art.
    Art, it if makes you feel better, I will bring my Canon A510. I think it has all of 3MP and a built in zoom lens. Fancy!!
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin