Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,200   Online: 1158

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a sad outcome of the improvements to the National Parks that they attract so many more people than they can handle.

The first time I ever went to Grandview Point in Canyonlands, I drove a ruler-straight, one-lane dirt road and it was just me and the gnats when I got there. The next time I went, I was greeted with a curved and banked paved highway with a good deal of traffic and crowds everywhere.

Despite the fact that the parks are always in need of funds, I enjoyed going to them more back during the Reagan administration when everyone complained about the lack of services and funding. At least I didn't have to sit in a four-lane traffic jam to get into the south rim of the Grand Canyon like the last time I was there.

I'm not a Disney World person.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    c6h6o3,
    That's apples and oranges. Washington DC has had a tripod by permit law for well over forty years. I was being chased off by the park police in 1966. It has nothing to do with 9-11 or political climate. The BLM rules have nothing to do with DC metro and park police. Those so called goons are enforcing a law that they had nothing to do with but is in affect in their jurisdiction. You could always get the permit or petition the government.
    The Park Police are actually a lot more enlightened than the rent-a-cops at the Arboretum, which is managed by the Department of Agriculture. They at least asked me what I do with the pictures. They didn't like my answer, but they let me keep working unmolested.

BTW, it has everything to do with the political climate, at least around here. Rules don't matter any more. The "I'm the decider" mentality has permeated every level of the government and its contractors. I see it every day all over the government.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Actually they ARE raising entrance fee's to many national parks this year...

Here is the press release for Yellowstone and Grand Teton:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/press/0622.htm

Glacier National Parks entrance fee goes to $25 on Monday May 1st as well.

When in Yellowstone last June, I saw many more citations being issued that I have ever seen in the last 15 years, we were shooting coyote pups at the childrens fire trail last year and a ranger showed up and issued over 25 tickets to people who were parked off pavement, it was quite a specticle...

Dave
    Shenandoah Ntl Park is no exception to this. They raised the entrance fee from $10 to $15 and last year the yearly park pass went from $20 to $30.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shot in Carlsbad Caverns with a Mamiya and tripod in early March with no problems. The rangers were very pleasant and never asked if I was going to sell the prints. I was approached by visitors wanting to purchase photos because their d*g*t*l cameras weren't getting good shots.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Actually they ARE raising entrance fee's to many national parks this year...
    Good. Raise them more. Two things all natinal parks could use less of are potholes and visitors.

I avoid Ntl. Parks like the plague (when I can).

I've driven past the entrance to Arches at least 60 times in the past 12 years and haven't gone in once.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Washington DC has had a tripod by permit law for well over forty years. You could always get the permit...
    If there really is such a law, how would you go about getting a permit? I did a search of the DC code, and apparently, the word 'tripod' does not appear anywhere in the code. The only reference I could find to photography had to do with use of cameras in DC courtrooms. Then again, I am not an expert at legal searches, perhaps I missed something?

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    Good. Raise them more. Two things all natinal parks could use less of are potholes and visitors.

I avoid Ntl. Parks like the plague (when I can).

I've driven past the entrance to Arches at least 60 times in the past 12 years and haven't gone in once.
    If you visit Arches in the middle of the week in the late fall, winter, or early spring, you will be nearly alone. If you're not, a short drive or hike will make that so. There is alot of stuff in Arches worth seeing, IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tripod law in DC might be listed under federal, not DC. When I was in college (several years ago), I went to DC while looking at grad schools. My uncle warned me that I couldn't use a tripod near "the Mall" or any of the monuments. It actually has to do with safety and someone tripping over the legs and also with mistaking one for a weapon. Same rule in Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.
    In law enforcement overall, there's more of a sense of "I can't let something happen on my watch." They'd rather err on the side of overcaution than potentially let someone get away with something. Are they right to do it? Maybe, maybe not. But it's absolutely impossible for all the assorted federal, state, and local law enforcement and security guards to strike the right balance that will make everyone happy. The political climate in Massachusetts is a little different from places like TX, but I bet the law enforcement reacts similarly to someone with a tripod at a bridge.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka
    If there really is such a law, how would you go about getting a permit? I did a search of the DC code, and apparently, the word 'tripod' does not appear anywhere in the code. The only reference I could find to photography had to do with use of cameras in DC courtrooms. Then again, I am not an expert at legal searches, perhaps I missed something?

Bob
    DC code is not applicable. It's National Park Service regulations that govern most of the monuments around here. Or, as I mentioned, in the case of certain facilities such as the National Arboretum or the National Forests, the Department of Agriculture regulates. Each location seems to have their own fee schedule and set of rules.

The rent-a-cops at the Arboretum, as well as the clone at the information desk who will hand you the rules permitting non-commercial photography will both then tell you that the tripod you are carrying requires a permit. The permit fee is $500/day. No amount of cajoling on your part will penetrate the thick skull plate of these creatures to whom 2+2=4 and tripod=commercial photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    If you visit Arches in the middle of the week in the late fall, winter, or early spring, you will be nearly alone. If you're not, a short drive or hike will make that so. There is alot of stuff in Arches worth seeing, IMHO.
    I have to agree. Also early spring may be a good time to visit Arches unless things have changed since I was there last. Arches is a beautiful pocket sized NP that affords the opportunity of driving and also hiking into some relatively remote areas.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin