Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,319   Online: 880

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger
    The tripod law in DC might be listed under federal, not DC. When I was in college (several years ago), I went to DC while looking at grad schools. My uncle warned me that I couldn't use a tripod near "the Mall" or any of the monuments. It actually has to do with safety and someone tripping over the legs and also with mistaking one for a weapon. Same rule in Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.
    In law enforcement overall, there's more of a sense of "I can't let something happen on my watch." They'd rather err on the side of overcaution than potentially let someone get away with something. Are they right to do it? Maybe, maybe not. But it's absolutely impossible for all the assorted federal, state, and local law enforcement and security guards to strike the right balance that will make everyone happy. The political climate in Massachusetts is a little different from places like TX, but I bet the law enforcement reacts similarly to someone with a tripod at a bridge.
    When I was in DC a few years ago, I had no trouble using my camera on a tripod. I tramped all over the monuments and places near them. I didn't make it to the arboretum though. The funniest was when I was on the wide stretch of lawn in front of the white house. I even asked the guards there if it was alright to take a picture, just to be sure. One came over and held my bag for me. Either I'm more intimidating than I think, or I'm so non threatening ( those that know me don't laugh) as to be ignored.

If I had trouble I could have had my son in law step in, he worked for the state dept. at the time. He never had to come to my rescue.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    The funniest was when I was on the wide stretch of lawn in front of the white house.
    That would be Lafayette Park, which is now fortified beyond comprehension. It contains more Jersey walls than trees.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin