Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,492   Online: 842

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ability to manipulate a photograph and create an alternte reality has always been there since the beginning of photography. Multiple exposures, sandwiching negaitves, selective masking etc. Add to that the ability to fake reality by constructing a scene to fit the photographers vision such as Civil War photographers posing corpses for better compositions.

The only difference with digital is that the ability to do the above has moved from the hands of skilled darkroom technicians to anyone with a computer and photoshop. Now everyone can present their own version of reality.

I wonder what "real" photographers thought about all those regular folks buying cheap Japenese and in some cases German 35mm rangefinders and SLRs starting in the early 50s. I bet a lot of them thought it would be the end of the art of photography since people could go out and blast through 24 or 36 exposures without hardly thinking about it. Couple the cheap cameras with the idea of every camera nut being able to now afford enlarging gear for his 35mm frames and you end up with lots of crap elbowing for room with work from "real" photographers.

But photographic art survived and the formats and processes that many might have felt threatened back then not only survive but thrive today as never before.

Digital is really no different then analogue when it comes to the art aspect. I have seen truly stunning digital prints. the fact they were so good had nothing to do with the medium but the vision and execution of the idea by the artist. But those works are a small percentage of all the mediocre digital work that is out there, just like analogue. Good work will be recognized, applauded and given its due regardless of medium or process.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format

Photography will remain an important art form...

...as long as artists use photography to express themselves...

Shooter
    35mm
    Why should anyone be influenced by a critic?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, there is a sea of crap out there, but it only really hurts the few who are actually accomplished, and trying to make digital thier medium, and newbie collectors, who don't know what's what.

Digital market flooding devalues digital photography, and is raising the value of traditional photography... the sea of hacks has gone digital. Good riddance.

As an aside, traditional photography has recently set several sales records.

We need a - "Is ????? dead" sub-subforum somewhere.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 04-30-2006 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An interesting note, the black and white classes at the local community college have been filled every semester ever since I can remember. The digital class has been cancelled each of the last 3 semesters because of lack of enrollment....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn
    An interesting note, the black and white classes at the local community college have been filled every semester ever since I can remember. The digital class has been cancelled each of the last 3 semesters because of lack of enrollment....

Long may it continue thus...

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is this perception that digital is so very easy (the new Nikon Canada commercials for the D50 don't exactly help; "making a masterpiece has never been so easy or so fun!"). The reality is that doing digital well isn't, but you have to get to a certain point of competency with it to know that. The people who would be likely to take an introductory digital photography course probably feel like they don't need any instruction; the camera and computer will do all the work for them.

Film photography has a certain magic to it; we all know what it felt like to see the first print come up in the developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like Photojim implied, the skills, aptitude and artistic abilities required to make an engaging, thoughtful photograph are the same regardless of medium, only some people confuse ease of use with artistic ability.

It is like in film school, EVERYONE thinks they are a innately a film director until you hand them a camera and watch them freeze like a deer in the headlights. Just because you are a consumer of images, doesn't make you automatically skilled or expert image maker...

It is like saying you are an author because you can read.

Just as it did when video usurped 16mm for "film making" classes, it did NOTHING to help the quality of the image coming out of the schools, it only make the volume of crap jump exponentially higher because it was less expensive to initally capture the images.

So too does digital video or still images where the image can be "erased" and the media used again and again; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Film makes you pause, consider the moment, and clarify what you are doing, not just hose down the scenery and hope you wind up with something remotely useable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    <yawn>
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    <yawn>
    My socks are a little sweaty.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin