Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,455   Online: 1144

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Beware the Assignment of Copyright (Weekend Australian)

The Weekend Australian newspaper is running a photography competition promoted by Tourism Australia. I checked the small print, and this makes me exceedingly angry - Conditions of Entry, number 28. "Each entrant assigns to the Promoter all copyright and other intellectual property rights in each photo and desciption...The entrants agree to waive all their rights, including moral rights, in the photographs entered..." Yes, that's right, they are even claiming copyright over the mandatory 150 to 200 word description of each photo. I believe they should be more upfront about this, rather than hiding this away.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    We had one like that in Hawaii recently. You submitted images for a chance at a free airplane ticket to Los Angeles (about $400) and gave up all rights in return. Yes, read the small print before entering any contest.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, the recent Getaway competition was the same. Catriona (the host) claimed they got something like 20,000 entries... was a large enough number that I exclaimed "wow". Now most will be utter crap, but still, I bet they harvested a few decent pics!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget, it's a Murdoch publication!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fact is that hundreds, maybe thousands, of people will enter these contests. Most are wannabes with digicams who will jump any opportunity for tear. The industry, philosophy and profession of photography is changing rapidly.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin