Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,501   Posts: 1,597,846   Online: 1034

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Oh you guys are too cynical!

Art.
    Yes, it seems that when some don't understand or have anything positive to contribute that it is their nature to express negativity through personal attacks. Unfortunately these people do not understand that this speaks more of them then it does of me.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I'm disappointed to see the way many people here are reacting to Donald's challenge...
    ...I fully agree with Donald I think - maybe there's a website/forum where those of us who DO want to talk about such things can go...? I dunno. If anyone has any ideas...
    THIS should be the website where we CAN, and DO talk about those ideas!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Yes, it seems that when some don't understand or have anything positive to contribute that it is their nature to express negativity through personal attacks. Unfortunately these people do not understand that this speaks more of them then it does of me.
    I agree! Damned straight!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Art or craft? Since you ask, I'd have to say craft - a quite startling level of craft skill in a highly impractical medium - how on earth you make a sand painting permanent, I can't begin to imagine! The level of artistic expression for me - and I can only speak for myself - is at greetings card level, but the woman is obviously talented and I would like to have an opportunity to see more of her work in other media (if she has any) which has perhaps been produced in a slower and more considered way.
    It's a craft if she does it, but if Tibetan monks do it as Mandala Sand Paintings, does it now become art?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...tures/mandala/

I too am curious as to when 'it' becomes 'art'. I'd like to know where the line in the sand is (pun intended but not to be sarcastic).

I'm a simple guy. I like what I like - art, craft, or hobby. Which really leads to the heart of the matter - is art about expression or is art about interpretation or both?

Regards, Art.
    BTW I have several greeting cards with everything from Dali to Warhol to Adams on them! Eeek...
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bill,
    ... Or do you jump to conclusions so rapidly in each and every matter in your life? Do you have the ability or the knowledge to intelligently discuss this matter apart from trying to subtley diminish it? Do you have knowledge of symbolic meaning? If so I welcome your presence...I welcome all positive input.
    I can't see ANY indication of a "conclusion jump" here. His input - and I take it as positive, is: "Don't `overthink' anything when you photograph". Agree or not, it IS a valid choice for some.

We seem to revert back to freedom. If I accept freedom of artistic expression for myself, I also MUST accept the fact that everyone else has the same freedom.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HANG ON DONALD
    I have shared my thoughts

YOU ARE NOT LISTENING to anything but your own drivel

i don't have to explain my reasons or feelings or any that other crap about my work

my work stands, or falls, as presented

don't patronise or belittle me, and don't dismiss this as another attack or an example of being defensive

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ray, You just found your way to my ignore list. These expressions of aggression are not positive..
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven
    Hello Donald and APUG,

I think ...

Gordon
    BRAVO!!, Gordon. Well said.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Other of my images carry symbolic meanins for me as well. They quite honestly may not carry the same meaning to someone else...
    Donald,

I appreciate that you acknowledge this fact. Thank you.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeh right Donald, that's a mature and thoughtful way to conduct a debate

i'm not aggressive, your just a little pissant with too much time on your hands

you don't want a discussion you want a soap box

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin