Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,074   Online: 964

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    g'day Donald
    i've also looked at your "Transitions" portfolio
    great images, well presented

but as for deeper and symbolic meanings that are important to you, i don't get them, you haven't expressed them in a way i can comprehend

so if these symbolic meanings are the important thing, for you, then i must conclude that these images are failures
    Why MUST you conclude that they are "failures"? Is there some written commandment that states, "All thine images must meet my requirements for 'symbolic connection" (n.b., "my") or they fail."

I propose that NO photograph -- or any other work of art - has EVER "reached" EVERYONE... universally, with the same effect ... or will they - ever.

Come to think of it ... why MUST you do anything?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so Donny
    how does this ignore thing work?

can i still post here? but you don't see it?

or am i locked out?

you're the final authority on everything, so please explain

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    I propose that NO photograph -- or any other work of art - has EVER "reached" EVERYONE... universally, with the same effect ... or will they - ever.
    Heartily concur. For example (and I can see the upset responses coming already), the work of Ansel Adams does nothing for me emotionally, though I admire the technique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ed,

i agree entirely

but consider this - if Donald's symbolic message is so very important to him, but i don't get it, then at the level he intends, they are failures

by his reckoning, not mine

i didn't say they must meet my requirements, but it seems, in my case, they didn't meet his

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    ...you don't want a discussion you want a soap box
    I have to agree with this statement as well Donald. It seems that those that agree with your comments are welcome to "discuss". Those with a dissenting view or that think you are the one spreading BS are considered pariahs, malcontents and viewed as attackers. It should occur to you that there are those that may come to the conclusion that it is you who are the sensitive and defensive one.

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan
    Good technique liberates creativity. I don't think anyone would disagree with this?
    This was going to produce a knee-jerk reaction of, "Me! I disagree!", but on further thought ... I haven't been able to pin down with any sort of certainty what is meant by "creativity". I also realize that I really do not know what is meant by "good technique", either.

With all that... I really think the time line in, "Good technique liberates creativity", is reversed. With me, the "flash", the inspiration, comes first, then the necessity of "the technique". Example: I realize what - I want to make an image of an apple. With that, I must now decide HOW, a.k.a., "select the technique", or acquire the technique, as is appropriate.

A wonderful artist, Helen Van Wyk, once said it: The DOING is really not hard. We can all learn that. The What-to-do is the hard part.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    It's a craft if she does it, but if Tibetan monks do it as Mandala Sand Paintings, does it now become art?
    A very interesting point - I think I'd have to say craft again, because the painting is done as a formal act of religious devotion rather than an act of personal expression or exploration (I'd regard the architecture of medieval cathedrals as craft by the same reasoning). I admire the monks' mindset - I could not bring myself to work on something for 6 days and then destroy it for any reason at all!

Regards,

David

Images
    SYbolism is a tricky beast. Unless the author is willing to discuss and tell the stories behind their images, thus putting the viewer in a similar mindset as the author, the images symbols will most likely be A: ignored, B:missed entirely or wrongly interpreted, or C: barely grasped by the viewer and definately not with the importance the author intended.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    I have to agree with this statement as well Donald. It seems that those that agree with your comments are welcome to "discuss". Those with a dissenting view or that think you are the one spreading BS are considered pariahs, malcontents and viewed as attackers. It should occur to you that there are those that may come to the conclusion that it is you who are the sensitive and defensive one.

Bill

Well Bill, I fail to see where I can do anything to meet your damned approval. I opened it for discussion and Ray jumped right in the middle of my stuff...then when I do discuss you claim that I am on a soapbox...so perhaps you and I need to agree to disagree and you just found your way to the same place that Ray is...perhaps you can commisurate...
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    This was going to produce a knee-jerk reaction of, "Me! I disagree!", but on further thought ... I haven't been able to pin down with any sort of certainty what is meant by "creativity". I also realize that I really do not know what is meant by "good technique", either.

With all that... I really think the time line in, "Good technique liberates creativity", is reversed. With me, the "flash", the inspiration, comes first, then the necessity of "the technique". Example: I realize what - I want to make an image of an apple. With that, I must now decide HOW, a.k.a., "select the technique", or acquire the technique, as is appropriate.

A wonderful artist, Helen Van Wyk, once said it: The DOING is really not hard. We can all learn that. The What-to-do is the hard part.
    Can't quite follow you on this one - if you decide to make an image of an apple and then and only then start to learn how to operate a camera, paintbrush or WHY, I think you won't get too far! One the other hand, if your technique is good enough (like, for example, that of a jazz musician), as soon as you think it, you can do it!

Regards,

David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin