Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,552   Online: 1043

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so Don, how many people are on your shit list

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was trying to understand Donald's change of heart, because I remember him saying the following in a thread I started here in the Ethics and Phoilosophy forum;

"You know with all of this self proffessed angst it is no wonder to me that no one is accomplishing much of anything worthwhile.

Rather the vomiting out of this self centered drivel it might be worthwhile to search the archives...it probably has been said before...ad nauseum."

(It was said here) http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...4&page=1&pp=10

Then it dawned one me after seeing the workshop announcement...could this be advertising?

You know Donald, you might get more interest if you didn't keep insulting your potential workshop attendee's photography.

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    Ed,

i agree entirely
    but consider this - if Donald's symbolic message is so very important to him, but i don't get it, then at the level he intends, they are failures
    by his reckoning, not mine
    i didn't say they must meet my requirements, but it seems, in my case, they didn't meet his
    And ...? Isn't there something of a great transference here? *I* - or anyone else (present company not excepted) have the ability to decide whether or not the photographer has met "the level he intends"?
    I KNOW I cannot do that. I think that determination ... whether or not the work is "successful"... can only be left to the photographer.

What about it, Donald? Does your work "meet the level you had intended"?
    What were your "requirements" ? ... or ... were there any?

As for me - I refuse to worry about "requirements". I'll just DO. Once in a while, I'll get a "good one".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    “Society is unattainable,” says Baudrillard; however, according to la Fournier , it is not so much society that is unattainable, but rather the failure, and eventually the absurdity, of society. Any number of discourses concerning not, in fact, theory, but posttheory may be found. Thus, Lyotard uses the term ‘neotextual narrative’ to denote a mythopoetical whole.

In the works of Smith, a predominant concept is the distinction between destruction and creation. Several discourses concerning semioticist nihilism exist. In a sense, the example of expressionism prevalent in the Neo-Dadaist image of a pool of water is a masterful synecdoche of paleo-nativist atavistic yearnings for paradisical utopias.

Clearly, the subject matter is contextualised/juxtaposed into a Sartre-ist existentialist melange that includes art/life as a totality. It could be said that Bataille uses the term ‘expressionism’ to denote the role of the observer as artist. It is just as evident that a Hegelian dialectic does not exist, nor is desirable in the context of radical social dialogue between artist and society.

While the subject can be interpolated into a Sartreist existentialism that includes sexuality as a reality, it is also arguably true that this same sexual dialectic/discourse has nothing to do with art in general, but rather serves as method for the continuation of the human species. Therefore, Debord uses the term ‘expressionism’ to denote the rubicon, and subsequent failure, of semantic sexual identity, while totally ignoring how much pleasure can be derived from immersion in the same socio-politico-vegetable-oil wading pool out in the back yard.

The premise of Sartreist existentialism holds that the collective is capable of significance. It could be said that Marx promotes the use of subcapitalist capitalism to read art.

Just some quick thoughts on the way to the shower.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    I was trying to understand Donald's change of heart, because I remember him saying the following in a thread I started here in the Ethics and Phoilosophy forum;

"You know with all of this self proffessed angst it is no wonder to me that no one is accomplishing much of anything worthwhile.

Rather the vomiting out of this self centered drivel it might be worthwhile to search the archives...it probably has been said before...ad nauseum."

(It was said here) http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...4&page=1&pp=10

Then it dawned one me after seeing the workshop announcement...could this be advertising?

You know Donald, you might get more interest if you didn't keep insulting your potential workshop attendee's photography.

Murray
    Murray, color yourself gone too...have a good day.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    And ...? Isn't there something of a great transference here? *I* - or anyone else (present company not excepted) have the ability to decide whether or not the photographer has met "the level he intends"?
    I KNOW I cannot do that. I think that determination ... whether or not the work is "successful"... can only be left to the photographer.

What about it, Donald? Does your work "meet the level you had intended"?
    What were your "requirements" ? ... or ... were there any?

As for me - I refuse to worry about "requirements". I'll just DO. Once in a while, I'll get a "good one".
    Ed, thanks for your contributions on the subject. My work meets the inner expression of a self that I am slowly coming to recognize...So who am I to judge what manner it finds expression of truth to me..
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ed, Donald can't know, normally, whether his work 'meets the level he intends' or not, he puts the work out there and the viewer responds to it

if he feels he must come to me after my viewing and belittle my supposed lack of awareness of 'symbolism' and explain his work, then the work, as presented, is not relating the message that he first intended, i.e. it has failed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Well Bill, I fail to see where I can do anything to meet your damned approval.
    Donald, I fail to see why my approval should be an issue here? If you would stop being so damned defensive, you might see that we are actually pretty close in our thinking on this subject. It is the work you back your position with that I find troubling. By stating ".... show me something new!!!" you have implied that somehow your work accomplishes this. Forgive me, but I just fail to see what is "new" about your approach to symbolism in artistic expression. If you will look back you will see I have shown no disrespect to your work, just your assertion that it is somehow something that the images in the "desert of illustration", as you call APUG's galleries, are not. You have yet to explain this.

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    Just some quick thoughts on the way to the shower.
    Sounds like you stopped at the Postmodernism Generator on the way to the shower, Clay--

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My work meets the inner expression of a self that I am slowly coming to recognize...
    Very well put. Bravo!

So who am I to judge what manner it finds expression of truth to me..
    If you truly believe this, then why judge or belittle what others see (or don't see) in that same work?

Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin