Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,922   Online: 791

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Large groups of people can't agree.
    They form tribes with people that they agree with.
    Within those tribes they form coalitions with people they agree more with.
    Within those coalitions are power struggles and even dissent, so a few people who sort of agree, band together.
    Within that band are maybe two people who completely agree.
    Sometimes they have a falling out.
    Then you're left with one person who agrees with himself.
    Until he changes his mind.

Journalism is the reporting of events by people with a point of view, because everyone has a point of view.

It is distributed by people with a point of view to a group of people with a point of view.

There is no truth because in all things human there is rarely "truth".

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

JACK. Is that clever?

ALGERNON. It is perfectly phrased! and quite as true as any observation in civilised life should be.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    It seems we humans have a need to be involved in the lives of others, so politics is a logical place to work to fulfill this need. tim
    Polictics is Show Business for ugly people.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Roger

Journalistic Integrity once meant telling the truth.

It has no meaning today.

I will second that. Living in Britain I would not trust a journalist as far as I could spit. Integrity is something that disappeared from journalism a long time ago in this country.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Andy,

Which truth?

And did anyone ever trust journalists? When was this golden age when journalists told the truth and were universally believed and admired?

Michael's analysis seems to me more rational.

Cheers,

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 05-25-2006 at 01:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: afterthought

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I will second that. Living in Britain I would not trust a journalist as far as I could spit. Integrity is something that disappeared from journalism a long time ago in this country.

I think one must separate those "journalists" who are employed by the big corporate media from those who are, essentially independent. Independents, working in the underground, still tell something resembling the truth - at least much more frequently than the corporate news media.

All we get from the corporate news media is what the government want us to get. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no truth on profit and loss.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    Well, all I know about "journalistic integrity" is that when I was writing tech articles about photography in a magazine, there was huge pressure from the importers (camera, other) to the Editor so that he would take care not to show their products to be "bad" in the tests. I was a good guy, though and things happened with my articles, sometimes. Like the once I did the test for Hasselblad's H-1 and wrote that it's an OK camera, but too pricey (compared it to the other 6x4,5s and to the Rollei 6008 that also takes a 6x4,5 back)... The importer wanted to kill me and stopped giving ads to the magazine for a long time... Well, as you can imagine the magazine kissed good-bye the journalistic integrity and I stopped (by my own free will) writing camera tests.
    You gave your opinion. That has nothing to do with truth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Journalism is the reporting of events by people with a point of view, because everyone has a point of view.

It is distributed by people with a point of view to a group of people with a point of view.

Michael
    I think Michael has nailed it right here...we are all influenced by the way we look at things, and interpret them. While I agree that there is rarely, if ever 'truth' in all things human, I believe there are facts... even though pinpointing a fact is like solving a calculus limits problem...you may never actually get the number, but you can get close enough for all practical purposes.

So it may be more practical to define Journalistic Integrity not as a reporting of 'truth' but as a reporting of facts without undo influence of personal point of view. "A red car approached the STOP sign, but did not come to a complete stop before entering the intersection." That is a fact, uninhibited by personal influence. It has more journalistic integrity than "A red car driven by an inattentive kid (who was probably talking on his cell phone) just blew right through the STOP sign." Now that last statement might have been a lot closer to the facts of the situation, but our ability to trust the integrity of the last report is diminished by things that can not be proven.

So... to make a short story long what I am trying to say is that our perception of journalistic integrity is actually our ability to trust what the writer says. Phew!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Going on 2000 years, and still no one has answered Pilate's question. I guess that's progress in the human condition.

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps he needs a Pilate light.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin