Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,980   Online: 753
      
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63
  1. #51
    blansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Wine country in Northern California
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    You must forgive Andy K; he's from Essex, and they had to contend with the Vikings, it left it's mark.
    So that's the reason he walks around with that broad axe embedded in his forehead.



    Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

  2. #52
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    You must forgive Andy K; he's from Essex, and they had to contend with the Vikings, it left it's mark.
    Dave please... I live in Essex, I'm from Merton.


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  3. #53
    Lachlan Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Glasgow
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    578
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Throughout history there have been a disproportionate amount of Scots in the British parliament. That is why they are so terrified of the idea of an English Pariament. As soon as the people of England have their own say in their own country, the cash cow of Britain is over, and the 'celtic fringe' will have to look elsewhere for their handouts.
    But then why does any of this matter to you, I seem to recall you don't even live in Britain.
    At least you have what could be called a representative democracy - here in Scotland the fourth most popular party holds the balance of power and the electoral system was designed to keep the Tories out!
    Not that any of the current batch of The Scottish Raj are in any way capable - my favourite comment is that of the Guardian which described John Reid as 'an oven-ready politician ready to be warmed up and sent to any department in a crisis'. The ones left in Scotland are even worse - at least you aren't being ruled by a garden gnome with a taste for pinstripe kilts! When Tony Blair falls there will be a truly grubby East v West battle for the PM's job with John Reid (west coast) facing up to Gordon Brown (east coast) with all the enmity both camps can muster.

    Lachlan

  4. #54
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    So that's the reason he walks around with that broad axe embedded in his forehead.



    Michael
    Certainly is Michael, but thats what you get when you play with axes. We got the idea after watching our womenfolk playing with their hockey sticks.


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  5. #55
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Andy,

    Not, I think, a serious misunderstanding. When one faction outweighs the others by a factor of 4 to 1, and there is a parliament for the entire Union, how much protection and special consideration does the 4:1 majority need?
    The problem is not about protection. It is about the West Lothian question. Why should Scottish MPs be allowed to vote on matters pertaining only to England, when English MPs are not allowed to vote on purely Scots matters? That is wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Don't get me wrong. I hold no brief for Blair, and I have even less time for Falconer. But given the enthusiastic rejection of a regional assembly Oop Noorth in England, at least some English people agree with me that the English need less protection from other Britons (and the British parliament) than other Britons need from them.
    Actually their rejection of a regional assembly was more to do with the people of England not wanting their country broken up into regions at the behest of the EU. We want an English parliament, nothing less.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    I'd be delighted to see a lot more 'Balkanization' in Europe, but I fear that the biggest losers would be the English who look to me (and many other Europeans) to be out of step with almost the whole of the rest of the continent, whether you look at current countries (eg UK, France, Germany) or older ones (Scotland, Bretagne, Bayern, Catalunya...)
    Again you say 'the English'. How are 'the English' out of step? Because we do not want to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels? Because we don't want our economy ruined by the Euro? Because we will not pander to the French and Germans? We currently have the strongest economy in Europe, we would not have that if we had joined the Euro. If you mean out of step because we prefer pints to litres, miles to kilometres etc. hey, get used to it. The biggest mistake this country ever made was voting to join the Common Market. since then we have slowly been forced into a European superstate that no-one voted for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Incidentally, I'd like to say thanks for your debating this rationally (well, you know what I mean...) rather than resorting to immediate name-calling. A refreshing change from many forums.

    Cheers,

    Roger
    We APUGgers leave (most) of the name calling to other forums COFFpnet!


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Dear Andy,

    Why 'the English'?

    Pure observation. The kind of stuff you're saying is very English. Far fewer Scots, Irish, Welsh, Cornish that I speak to seem to feel the same way. Even fewer in mainland Europe understand the English viewpoint.

    As I say, a bit more Balkanization would be extremely interesting, as I really do believe that the Scots, Irish, Welsh, Cornish regard the EU as a good idea, and it's mainly the English who don't. Most of the rest of us would be happy to let you go your own way. As the 51st state, if that's what you want.

    Fortunately the British parliament (see? I do know the difference) isn't as xenophobic as so many of the English seem to be.

    But I fear we shall tire others with this argument. I suggest that you reply (if you wish) and that we then leave it at that, without my disputing further.

    Oh, by the way, I agree with you about the West Lothian question, but I think it can be magnified more than it deserves.

    Cheers,

    Roger

  7. #57
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    Roger, I don't think the Danes are keen on Europe either.

    They don't understand the English viewpoint? How many countries in Europe do not have their own government? Only England. How many countries in Europe have been told they will have to be broken up into regions? Only England. Has Brussels decreed that France and Germany be broken up piecemeal into 'regions'? No. And anyway who cares what the French or Germans think? Their economies are failing.

    If only the British take this viewpoint, then perhaps it is because we have been repeatedly denied the right to voice our opinion in a referendum on European Union, and the longer we are denied that right the more anti-EU we will become. That is what Mr Blair/Lewinsky does not seem to understand.

    Do you think Scotland will give up North Sea oil and gas to a European superstate? Of course not. Wales can never gain 'independence' because it has only ever been a principality and not a kingdom or nation in its own right, the same goes for Cornwall (but to be honest if Cornwall did become independent the only loss to england would be the cost of supporting its unemployed), as for Scotland, fine give them independence, but on the day of independence we should take back every penny of English taxpayers money ever given to Scotland.

    So tell me Roger, apart from mass unemployment, a crippled economy, and a total lack of border control, what else has the EU got to offer? I say the EU, because there is a difference between the EU and Europe. I am pro European, I am anti EU (European Union).

    Ps. Of course what I am saying is very English, I am English. The stuff you are saying is very anti-English and bordering on racism, but I'll let that go as after all, you are French.


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  8. #58
    George Papantoniou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Athens
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    987
    Images
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    George, are you assuming for yourself the role of maven?
    It's OK with me if you insist in honouring me with the title, I feel offended and honoured at the same time ;-) (but I don't think I'm worth it.)

  9. #59
    George Papantoniou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Athens
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    987
    Images
    118
    Andy, Roger, as a foreigner I don't really get the point of your funny discussion, but I am beginning to understand why that Scottish guy I once met in Brussels was so happy when the English lost a football match, whoever they played against...

  10. #60

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Dear George,

    Quite. I said I'd let Andy have the last word on this and I am happy to have done so. I do not think there is much chance of my understanding him, or his understanding me, let alone influencing one another's views.

    Cheers,

    Roger

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin