Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,015   Online: 712

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

U of Guelph prof using old cameras?

I was just in the recently opened Henry's in Cambridge and had a nice chat with one of the women there. I asked her about a recommendation for b&w film and she immediately reached for the Ilford 400asa professional saying "this is what I always use." What? That was refreshing to hear. So I asked her a few more questions and apparently she is a student in arts at the university of Guelph and got talking about the photography component of her course. She said that the prof for photography made all the students go out and buy an older 35mm slr with no auto focus capability and no built in metering. He wanted them to put a prime lens on it and start shooting. She then went on to say that he is also getting them to develop their own b&w and colour film.

How refreshing is that to hear? I'm a little out of the university loop (I'm 37 y/o) but I fully expected to hear about digital photography and zoom lenses, etc. etc. I loved hearing that this person shoots only film and loves the feel (both physical and visual) of it.

Just my little cheer for film for today. Thanks for reading.
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, is there a better way of learning the photographic process and how to think like a photographer than using fully a fully manual camera and b/w film? How else can one learn what the camera's controls do?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have been thinking this same thing myself. I don't understand how you can love photography without the basics. It was only when I was given a manual camera about 12 years ago that I became really serious about photography. Before that it was just a snapshot hobby.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

I think I mentioned this before but it's like the US NAvy or Coast Guard training some of their personel by spending a certain length of time on an actual sailing vessel. (not a modern day vessel)

You want to be a sailor, well here, now learn how to sail.

MIchael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure that's part of it but it's also about not letting people cheat.

Even if they turn off the auto features nothing stops some kid from turning them back on. So you require cameras without the features.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sailors should learn on sailing vessels so they come to an understanding of how the sea behaves in concert with the wind (don't get me started on powerboaters). Photographers should learn on manual cameras for similar reasons. You are always likely to understand what you can and cannot do if you have a feel for how it works, which is only acquired by having to handle everything yourself. A colleague was taught to drive on a Ford Model A (this was in the late 70's)by his dad for the same reason. And he's a very good driver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    smileyguy: Go back to Henry's, find the woman, and find out who the prof is. Seems like it would be a good chance to hook up with a like mind, make some connections, etc. A beer or two (Creemore Springs comes to mind as the weather warms) may even be involved... maybe this gentleman would even be glad to hear of APUG.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is refreshing to hear. I was talking to a recent college grad and photography came up after her gushing that "she was absolutely crazy about photography"... Well, after a few minutes it came to light that she has never touched a roll of film or a real camera!!! Nice to hear that thre are still some teachers who "keep the faith".
    I think the sailing ship analogy is a great one, to take it a step further, I don't think one should be able to get a driver's license on a car with an automatic transmission (handicaps excluded, of course). After that, do what you will - but learn from the basics. Many so called modern day "computer experts" come to mind as well...
    Oh well, enough whining out of me!

Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great idea, Earl! She did mention his name but I just don't remember it.

Creemore sounds good but if he's in Guelph Wellington Arkell Best Bitter cask conditioned on tap at the Woolwich Arms sounds even better. Mmmmmm...

You know what, I think I will go back and ask her who that is again. Great idea.

I'll update y'all later.
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Jan 06 Washington Post article indicates that this isn't an isolated example.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin