Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,693   Online: 919

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Photgraphing a sunset? You should be ashamed of yourself .....

Seriously though, it sounds like the guy is a fruit cake. In future, stay away from that part of the beach with your camera - he may decide to take the law into his own (insane) hands and do more than call the cops.

Graeme
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Clearly an art critic. He obviously thinks you should be shooting something more edgy--maybe in mode of memoir or some 1960's slab highrises on an overcast day.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nc5p
    I was just shooting sunset photos about 1/4 mile from my house with my Mamiya 645 when someone, who lives nearby, came over to me. He told me I was casing his house to break in. I told him I lived on Sombrero Loop, just a block away from his house. He still wouldn't listen. I told him I was an engineer and photographed to sell prints at the art fairs in the North Valley. He told me, "oh yeah, I'm Jesus Christ." He threatened to break my camera. He then threatened to kill me, and promised that my wife would never find my body. He then had his wife call 911 to "have me arrested for taking pictures." He attempted to restrain me but I broke away and ran home. His house is located on Edith just outside Albuquerque city limits.

Background: I was standing on Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District Property. This is a municipal corporation that distributes water to land owners via a network of irrigation ditches with road levies. I was standing in the middle of a road levy. I walk my dogs through this route nearly every day, often bringing one of my cameras along. I have taken some beautiful photos of old cottonwood trees, sunsets, clouds, and landscapes here in Alameda. He claims he has never seen me. He has an Australian Shepard just like mine. I can't believe he hasn't seen me in seven years.

My wife and girls were just ahead of me with both our dogs, I stayed behind to shoot the sunset and cloud formation after a thunderstorm in the area. If my dogs had been with me they would have attacked him.
    I'll make sure I have them with me from now on.

Doug

"shook up but not discouraged from photographing"
    You need to file an immediate "order of protection" aka restraining order against this delusional son of a bitch- seriously. His attempt to restrain you is nothing short of a criminal battery. People who behave this way are extremely dangerous-sooner or later. The creep belongs in a lock-down facility where he can be force fed his psych meds. Good luck.
    Last edited by Sean; 06-15-2006 at 04:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format

Get some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by nc5p
    The man who assaulted me. He lives about 300 feet from where I was standing. I am VERY hesitant to call the cops, they are EXTREMELY crooked here and often arrest innocent people while they let drunk drivers, rapists, and murderers off scott free. I try to avoid any contact with them.

Doug
    I think what I would do in your situation Doug would be to make an appointment to see an attourney, and get some professional advice on how to proceed with this matter, I think that even the threat of legal action would make him very afraid of the consequences of his actions because in my experience most bullies , when stood up to, are cowards. I'm sorry about the verbal abuse, and threats you have suffered, it must be very upsetting for you and your family, I hope you find some way to make him pay dearly for it.
    Last edited by Sean; 06-15-2006 at 04:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Obviously a fruit loop, but a dangerous one. Call the police and file an incident report. At that point it, will be your word against his about the scuffle (unless there was an unbiased witness), so pressing battery or attempted kidnapping charges will be tough to prove, this time. The threat against your life should be taken seriously, so get it on a report and do it now. Once this is done, go back and take another sunset picture. Have your cell phone handy when you see him coming, call 911 and report that you fear for your life.

If you did nothing wrong, don't fear this man. The best way to deal with a bully is to kick him in the balls (figuratively). tim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Most intelligent and honest lawyers -- and yes, they do exist -- advise against all contact with lawyers unless strictly necessary.

In this case, I think it may be strictly necessary.

This was in the technical sense assault and battery. Next to impossible to prove but if you have your concerns registered with a lawyer and the police it should make things MUCH easier next time -- if there is a next time.

Roger W. Hicks, LL.B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everything you write from now on ought to be composed as though the judge will be reading it. Even e-mails, and postings.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Who else remembers Rowan and Martin?

Here come de judge...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would file a police report, although difficult to prove, that way you have the incident report on file, if anything should happen again, it would make getting a restraining order a bit easier as well as having the police talk to this fruit, in addition I would add one more tool to my camera bag, a small can of personal defence spray, IE: pepper spray, as you have been threatened and physically assaulted, you would be within your rights to use it for protection.

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    He threatened your life? That in itself is a serious offense. Go to the police, and file a report. Your local Attorney General should be *very* interested as well.
    No matter how much you distrust the local police, they will not risk any harm happening to you after they have been notified of the situation.

My advice, in short: Make a lot of noise. Let everyone know that you have been threatened.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin