Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,191   Online: 1156

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why are all you people ganging up on me? I thought I'd find fellowship with other photographers who share a concern on this issue here. Instead, I get blasted for "violating this guy's rights". Everything I said is true. Why are his rights more important than mine? Because he drives a Hummer and $50k custom powerstroke? If you all want to sell your camera gear on ebay and just watch tv and take no more photos go ahead. I'm not stopping you.

Doug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc5p
    Why are all you people ganging up on me? I thought I'd find fellowship with other photographers who share a concern on this issue here. Instead, I get blasted for "violating this guy's rights". Everything I said is true. Why are his rights more important than mine? Because he drives a Hummer and $50k custom powerstroke? If you all want to sell your camera gear on ebay and just watch tv and take no more photos go ahead. I'm not stopping you.
    Doug
    I am certainly NOT ganging up on you. What this guy did amounts to nothing less than a felony. NO ONE has a right - of ANY KIND - to threaten another persons' life ... PERIOD.

From what I have read, you certainly were within your rights and were acting as a reasonable person would act ... If within legal bounds or not... If this guy had some issue with what you were doing, he should have ... must ... call the police. Instead he chose to threaten your life. GO to the police ... if the local police won't listen or take some action - such as recording a report, GO TO THE STATE.

This is another form of "road rage" - although without a vehicle .. and I'm sure they - someone - will want it to be controlled.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Doug
    Doug,

I kind of new here and don't want to speak out of place, but I think what concerns some folks about your post is that you named the individual in a public forum. Add to that the fact that you did not report the incident to the authorities and its seems as if you want folks here to "do something about it" for you.

Incidents like you endured are indeed frightening; espescially to all of us when it occurs in the pursuit of an interest that we share in common. But no one here can fight your fiight for you. The best advice I've seen here is to report the incident so that a record is made. And I think the next best advice is to avoid naming the individual in this or any forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Doug
    Doug,

I don't see people ganging up on you, what I do see is a group of people who have made good strong suggestions on what you should have done first, which was to contact the police and file a report. Not being familier with the area in which you were photographing, I don't know if you were in violation or such other things. I do know that being threatened by another individual is a serious crime and by your delay in contacting the authorities have not accomplished anything in your own defence or protection. Most anyone who has photographed for a while in their life, has had such incidents occur in public places, by reporting crimes of this nature, not only are you doing something to protect yourself, you are also protecting those that may come behind you and have an encounter with this individual. If the local police are not willing to take the report, contact the state police or the AG in your state, as officers of the court, they are obligated to take a legitimate report from a person who has been threatened. By posting this in a public forum, you have opened yourself up, if this individual would happen to get wind of it.

Again, I don't see you being attacked, I have seen suggestions given, I think what you may being feeling at attack, is perhaps people who felt the situation was handled inccorrectly, an internet message board is not always the best solution, especially in crimminal situations.

As I wrote in another message, contact the authorities, get yourself a can of personal protection spray and make sure when photographing, your not in violation of any laws.

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doug,
    Did you get any good photos that day before the incident occured? If so, send him a beautiful 8x10 print of the sunset and announce who you are in a polite letter. Who knows, maybe you might be able to reconcile with the guy and put this incident in the past. I can't remember who mentioned it in their post, but if the gangs are as bad as you're saying they are, I can understand his frustration with someone checking out his property and his wealth.
    Ara (okay, let the flaming begin... I'm ready for it)
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I am back from LA and will be happy to go back with you. Maybe we can round up several other local photographers to join us.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think we've wasted enough bandwidth on this one.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Well I am back from LA and will be happy to go back with you. Maybe we can round up several other local photographers to join us.
    David- if you can round up a bunch of LF guys, you can pose as members of the Darkcloth gang, instead of the Crips or the Bloods - sporting massive black-and-white do-rags instead of red or blue hankies!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a strange sight that would be - a gang of darkroom geeks strolling down the ditchbanks and riverbeds of the North Valley with medium format cameras in hand. I love it! We could call our group shoot "Ten Horses and a Hummer" or maybe "Powerstrokes of the Rio Grande."

I actually do think that sending a nice 8x10 print to the guy is a great idea. In addition to proving your intentions (even though you don't have to), it might also make him feel like a fool for taking such an aggressive attitude.
    Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erickson
    In addition to proving your intentions (even though you don't have to), it might also make him feel like a fool for taking such an aggressive attitude.
    Exactly! I'll even go out on a limb and say that you two might become acquaintances and he might even offer his property for photography. I suppose it's similar to the "turn the other cheek" philosophy. You never know what benefits you may reap from having a kinder approach. Plus, it shows him that you're not afraid of him. Believe me, this is not an easy approach. If the same thing happened to me I'm sure I'd have fantasies of vandalizing his property or putting one of his horse heads in his bed a la The Godfather. But that kind of approach will always bring greater and greater misfortunes upon yourself. Be the bigger man and put an end to this cycle.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin