Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,600   Online: 887

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Just Assaulted by someone for taking sunset photos

I was just shooting sunset photos about 1/4 mile from my house with my Mamiya 645 when someone, who lives nearby, came over to me. He told me I was casing his house to break in. I told him I lived on Sombrero Loop, just a block away from his house. He still wouldn't listen. I told him I was an engineer and photographed to sell prints at the art fairs in the North Valley. He told me, "oh yeah, I'm Jesus Christ." He threatened to break my camera. He then threatened to kill me, and promised that my wife would never find my body. He then had his wife call 911 to "have me arrested for taking pictures." He attempted to restrain me but I broke away and ran home. His house is located on Edith just outside Albuquerque city limits.

Background: I was standing on Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District Property. This is a municipal corporation that distributes water to land owners via a network of irrigation ditches with road levies. I was standing in the middle of a road levy. I walk my dogs through this route nearly every day, often bringing one of my cameras along. I have taken some beautiful photos of old cottonwood trees, sunsets, clouds, and landscapes here in Alameda. He claims he has never seen me. He has an Australian Shepard just like mine. I can't believe he hasn't seen me in seven years.

My wife and girls were just ahead of me with both our dogs, I stayed behind to shoot the sunset and cloud formation after a thunderstorm in the area. If my dogs had been with me they would have attacked him.
    I'll make sure I have them with me from now on.

Doug

"shook up but not discouraged from photographing"
    Last edited by Sean; 06-15-2006 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    next time let him call the cops. sure the whole idea is really intimadating, but what happens next time you walk past with a camera? - Just my two cents- Maybe you did the right thing, but either way maybe you should call the police about the "assault" that just happened to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd call the cops and report the incident if only to be on record for future meetings. And make sure you metion his reference to killing you.

Shooter
    35mm
    call the cops. now. did your family see this happen? any of it?

and who is Mr. X?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The same thing happened to me, but it was an online attack from a member of the APUG site. It really hits home when they threaten the family. I was called a bigot and got pm death threats. Besides sunsets, don't mention Vietnam or China online. It's too bad because it leaves that bitter taste that never goes away.

About thirty five years ago I was standing on the side of the road with my camera setup on a tripod taking a picture of an old barn and field when a couple of men, and I use that term loosely, started running out of the field near the barn with shot guns yelling hey, hey give me that camera you bastard get over here, hey you f**ker give me that camera.

My wife was in the car and it was running so I through the camera in the back and drove off with the door half open. Drove 70 miles home and the next day the timing belt went out in the car. I guess that was the fastest I have ever driven off.

I have not made a road side picture in the "country" since. Along the coast and in parks yes, but the country, no.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People are amazing. If you were casing his house, you would be farther away using a longer lens. I was taking a meter reading with my Bessa one day in a restaurant when a woman from two tables over walked over, accused me of spying on her, and basically ranted for a few seconds. As if anyone would do surveillance with a camera from 10 feet away.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The man who assaulted me. He lives about 300 feet from where I was standing. I am VERY hesitant to call the cops, they are EXTREMELY crooked here and often arrest innocent people while they let drunk drivers, rapists, and murderers off scott free. I try to avoid any contact with them.

Doug
    Last edited by Sean; 06-15-2006 at 04:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt, possibly they were growing or processing something in the barn that was not legal. We had 4 RCMP killed recently by the mad (in the sense of crazy) guardian of a grow-op).
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc5p
    The man who assaulted me. He lives about 300 feet from where I was standing. I am VERY hesitant to call the cops, they are EXTREMELY crooked here and often arrest innocent people while they let drunk drivers, rapists, and murderers off scott free. I try to avoid any contact with them.

Doug
    Call the provincial, or state police, they will be better
    Last edited by Sean; 06-15-2006 at 04:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How unpleasant, I'm very sorry for your experience. We had a similar experience on our Texas shooting workshop. We were given permission to photograph an abandoned saloon in the country, even had the gate unlocked for us and then 30 minutes later the owner came roaring up in a pick up swearing and shouting that we were tresspassing and to get OUT!! We did and tried to explain that his caretaker had let us in and we thought we had permission, after all how else could we have unlocked the lock??? He of course was so livid he would not listen. I had taken all the photographs I wanted but others with LF cameras were in the middle of a shot and had to pack up and leave. What a bad impression he made. although everyone else we met was so friendly and helpful we will all remember him.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin