Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,372   Online: 1005

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't deny digital, I have a nice cd digital and I consider it to be a "tool". I have a hand saw and a cabinet makers table saw. Both are "tools". Sometimes just a hand saw will to but for professional work I use the table saw. I use what is necessary for the purpose at hand. I wouldn't use digital for display prints but I don't dictate that everyone do the same. I think that film photography needs to be the best it can be, it's future rests on how it is perceived. If it is seen as superior then it will continue to move forward. If digital is seen as superior then no amount of darkroom work will help. Not everyone likes the stink of fixer on their hands. How many people wouldn't give up their horse for one of those loud cars? How many people got rid of the horse for something they could park in the front of the house and not feed house and cleanup after the horse? There are always people who want the newer technology and "ease" of use. Analog film photographers have billions of dollars of ad out there pushing digital photography. Even the photo magazines are now hybrid mags. Noting last forever though, enjoy it while it lasts.

How about a million photographer walk to promote the continuance of film photography?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I walked into a dodgy high street portrait studio for a nosey and listended to the sales girl speak to a potential client,
    "Don't worry it's all done digitally so we can remove any blemishes."

So how can I compete with that? How do I convince a client that she doesn't need those bags under her eyes removed? That other photographer gives me all the photographs on a CD so I can print them out at home. I hate high street studios with a passion.

Any designers will need a digital file as all their software is obviously digital. Bands will want a digital file for their website.

We can shoot in film, but we need to be prepared to deliver a digital file if required. Go out and buy a scanner!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know of 2 nearby portrait pros that have gone BACK to shooting film. They both discovered that they were spending way too much time in front of their computers and not enough time shooting. Both of them dusted off their Hassies and returned to film. I bought them drinks and said "I told you so."

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday

So how can I compete with that? How do I convince a client that she doesn't need those bags under her eyes removed? That other photographer gives me all the photographs on a CD so I can print them out at home. I hate high street studios with a passion.

Gary, that is your problem, you are trying to compete with them, you need to break out your indiviuality as a film photographer and explain to the client why, just as the digital photographer does, I don't even try to compete with them, I have my own nich.

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think my final print is as individual as I can get and no tacky high street studio can compete with what I produce. But does Miss Spot on her Nose care?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know, my customers seem to care, starting next weekend, I start my wedding season and have weddings booked every weekend until September, so some on must care, or I would not be so busy!

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Shoot a bigger format, Gary, and you'll have no problems lightening up those bags, wrinkles, and spots with a little pencil on the neg. Of course you can do it with brushes and dyes on medium format too.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxi331
    Gary, that is your problem, you are trying to compete with them, you need to break out your indiviuality as a film photographer and explain to the client why, just as the digital photographer does, I don't even try to compete with them, I have my own nich.

R.
    The way you light has a lot do do with correcting or eliminating blemishes. Also angle and camera height. Subtle changes can do a lot.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you can also use a green filter to remove the redness ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some pros around here use both. There are times when digital works great, but when you have a lot of highlights in the scene, film handles it much better. I helped one local professional last fall, she was shooting MF of a hospital interior for posters they needed for a medical hiring fair. She has a fine DSLR but uses the MF for that sort of work.

Doug

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin