Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,043   Online: 888

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    I'd rather continue selling 11x14 archivally mounted, matted, and framed B&W prints for $40 to people who appreciate them than to work hard to get rich in a snobbish market.
    You making a living doing that Jim? Or is this just a hobby for you? No tongue in cheek.. I'm seriously curious.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    peter

you should know by now, some people just like to complain.

if it isn't about the weather, it is about how some people sell photographs for less than $30 and if it isn't about that, it is about the people who sell photographs for $800 or more, or someone is an artist, or a "wannabe/sell-out". at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

i don't know what i am, i am just here for the ride.

john
    Good point, that.
    And very true, Mr Schwab, very true. This is hearsay at this point - not accusing anyone of lying, but context and prior exchanges can easily be misunderstod or outright missed. Still, fun gabbing about this stuff Personally, I can't wait to sell out. (I think I am stealing that from The Who or someone like that).

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Allegedly...

Remember, only one of us was there and that person has not chimed-in since starting this whole thread. Apparently the photographer we are all talking over does come here as stated by the original poster who also presented a biased attitude that makes me question what really happened. I would still very much like to hear the photographer's side of this story.

B.
    An interesting discussion, but I have to say I'm not entirely sure about the ettiquette of posting this thread, especially as the photographer is a member here. Can't complain because I've joined in as much as anyone, but...if I were the photographer in question I would think twice about chiming in after all this caboodle...

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I must admit, I too am guilty of being a tempremental photographer and getting annoyed at such coments as being discussed here. Not direct finger pointing intended.

It can be very frustrating to spend so much time, energy, emotion to put a show together, and not even recoup your expenses with just one sale. I hope the show sells out!

However, the viewing public does need to be educated and nursed along on just how unique a single image can be. To spend days, months, even years, visiting locations, repeatedly, only to carve out a fraction to a few seconds of existence onto a piece of film and print it for posterity.

http://www.recirca.com/artnews/475.shtml

The value of fine art photography has been growing and sales at auction for older images proves that out.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    However, the viewing public does need to be educated and nursed along on just how unique a single image can be. To spend days, months, even years, visiting locations, repeatedly, only to carve out a fraction to a few seconds of existence onto a piece of film and print it for posterity.
    Depending on how good the gallery is, this can fall under the owner's territotry, but then, shouldnt the photographer extend him/herself a little and do some of the education, specially at the opening? Look, there is really nothing wrong with being an artiste and having the angst of the world on your shoulders, but then it is easier to attarct bees with honey than wiht shit....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the incident happened and it happened in Utah within the past 24 months. I know the photographer as well as the lady mentioned. I didn't think a lot of it but was recently talking with the lady and she mentioned it. (she has original photos from at least 6 Utah photographers I know)
    She goes to a number of galleries and looks at art of various types and purchases at least two pieces per year to keep, not to resell. I know some years she has purchased as many as a dozen art pieces, two being her minimum goal per year and the top end limited by finances.
    The photographer in question will not be named as he may yet learn what it is that he/she is doing. The show was spotty in quality with some prints still in need of spotting, mats that weren't up to snuff and frames that were scuffed & a bit worn on some images. No cohesion to the work shown. Looked like it was taken from a number of people rather than one photographer who had a vision and could show it. Not a top effort but it did have some images that showed promise.
    The photographer seemed defensive and I know, from previously having talked with her/him that they didn't understand the difference in critique and criticism and responded too often with attacks rather than taking the time finding out what was actually being asked.
    I posted because I have seen this type of question asked and handled well a number of times by a number of photographers at shows. This photographer handled it poorly. From having talked with her before I wonder if he does know what the term 'fine art' means, or his/her definition?
    I waited to post for the specific reason of not making the person easily identified. If I wanted to offend or take them to task it would be easy to do. I chose not to do so. They are still young and can learn and the images/effort show promise and I hope this person keeps with it so in the future they sell to more than family/relatives/close friends at discounted prices.
    As to how quickly I respond or post on this. Am out shooting these days and just don't sit in front of this electronic hellbox that often. Idaho and Wyoming are looking great these days... as is SoDakota. The bridges of Madison County are still there but I didn't see Clint Eastwood though I did visit the birth home of John Wayne.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    You making a living doing that Jim? Or is this just a hobby for you? No tongue in cheek.. I'm seriously curious.

Bill
    There is some profit, but certainly not enough to make a living. It does help pay for a photography habit. Perhaps, if i raised prices a bit and sold in every possible venue, it would become a real job. I enjoy photography too much for that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Hi Jim,

. . . Wouldn't you want to see where your images land amongst your peers? Don't you feel what you have to say has more than a local interest?

I don't know how old you are or how many jobs you've had, but I'm in my mid 40's and have found that every job comes with compromises. I'm a letter carrier right now, which is THE BEST JOB I'VE EVER HAD! Yet...it takes time away from my being in the forest photographing.

Murray
    I am egotistical enough to have submitted a portfolio to the American B&W Magazine, but not upset that I missed the final cut. As for jobs, I'm 73 and retired, so selling photographs isn't a necessity. I substituted on rural mail routes for years, and agree that its an interesting job. There are photo ops on a country mail route, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    I enjoy photography too much for that.
    I can see your point there Jim. Making it your job does take a little of the fun out of it and I'm always looking for other hobbies. There are ways to keep it fresh though as long as you keep looking for them, but that too can be part of the job. Good that you are able to offset some of your costs.

Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhavard
    A fine art print expresses something, whereas just another picture does nothing more than capture the moment.
    What about expressing the moment.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin