Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,925   Online: 984

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    For me? Yes, if it didn't involve so much work that it became drudgery. That would happen quickly. However, I'd rather continue selling 11x14 archivally mounted, matted, and framed B&W prints for $40 to people who appreciate them than to work hard to get rich in a snobbish market. Photographs and other prints can bring affordable pleasure to many. Also, in the local market I don't have to wear a suit to impress people that I am an arteeest.
    Personally, I would rather sell my prints to anyone who wants to buy them. I don't care about class distinction.

FWIW, my prints are Fuji Crystal, triple matted in 100% rag, non buffered, museum board, archival dust cover back and Tru Vue Museum Glass. My prints are expensive, because I use the highest quality materials I can get - it makes me feel good to sell and present them that way.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Depending on how good the gallery is, this can fall under the owner's territotry, but then, shouldnt the photographer extend him/herself a little and do some of the education, specially at the opening? Look, there is really nothing wrong with being an artiste and having the angst of the world on your shoulders, but then it is easier to attarct bees with honey than wiht shit....
    Artists at the opening is very helpful for sales for sure and ultimately that is what it is all about, making sales. Certainly that is what the galley is in business for and would not hang an artists works unless they felt they would sell. For 50% of the selling price, the gallery had better put out the bulk of the effort in selling.

Who really invests more time and energy into a work, the artist or the salesman, obviously the artist. But then who really has the selling advantage, the gallery. They have pretty much an endless parade of artist's work they can pick and choose from to sell and can keep or dismiss artists as trends and sales fluctuate. The artist only has himself to produce works to sell, based on his own style, medium.

So yes the artist has far more worries to consider and frustrations to overcome. Just vent them away from the prospective buyers.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    This photographer handled it poorly.
    It seems to me as though the "photographer" wasn't the only one that handled this poorly.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    I'm sure I am behind the times but I consider a fine art print one that expresses something to the viewer and also is printed on fiber based fine art paper, limited in printing.
    ha haa - oh jeesh - it has to be printed on a special kind of paper to make it art....?! yep - right

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    I'm sure I am behind the times but I consider a fine art print one that expresses something to the viewer and also is printed on fiber based fine art paper, limited in printing. I of course work in black and white so I am quite prejudiced.
    I guess you don't consider color to be fine art then, since there are no fiber based color papers.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Colour FB paper existed until around 1970. So obviously, no fine art photo has been produced in colour since 1970.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jhavard
    A fine art print expresses something, whereas just another picture does nothing more than capture the moment.
    So Cartier Bresson and his decisive moment are not art and therefore just drugstore snaps? Forgive me then B&W magazine, by your definition, is full of fine art. ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is all very simple to quantify:

1. If printed huge and square it is ART.
    2. If printed rediculously small and overmatted to 24x30, this too is ART.
    3. Everything else is crap.

See how easy that is? Problem solved. We can all now go back to shooting pictures (uh, I mean CRAP).
    -- If film is dead, then how come I can't buy a Leica for 20 bucks? --

Mark Greenberg
    Editorial & Commercial Photographer
    www.markgreenbergphoto.com

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to get a good idea of what fine art photography is, then have a look at John Blakemore's 'Black & White Photography Workshop' ( see also AA's 'The Print', etc)- it's the blending of craft skills and vision by the photographer to produce an image that has that little extra bit of magic and makes you go 'wow' (can be b&w or colour).
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would submit that some are overly sensitive to "titles" - and far too quick to judge people on their motives.

I've been thinking .. "Fine Art" does have its use in describing a particular TYPE of photography ... as does "Sports Photography", "Street Photography", "News", "Lansdscape" --- "Railroad" -- and probably a host of others. I'd name more, but I'm running out of quotation marks.

One submits a photograph to an exhibition. On the submssion form there is .. "Check One ... Sports, ... Fine Art ..."
    For the greatest majority of my work, I'd check "Fine Art" .. not becase I want to pre-judge or pump-up my work ... but I believe it is the only category that fits ... or at least the best choice of the category that fiits.

I'm contemplating alternatives: "Art Photography" - omitting "Fine" --- immediately I would envision photography OF art. Photographs of statues, other peoples' paintings ...

"Fine Photography" - omitting "art" ... I don't think I've ever seen a description of any work using that particular description. I would have the image of a shingle - the sign proclaiming an early photographer's studio - most likely suggesting well-done portraiture...

Possibly "Fine Art Photography" IS pretentious, possibly there is an assumption - warranted or not - of the photographer's expertise and skill ...

But, I think that this description is, like Churchill's description of Democracy - "The worst of all - except for all of the others". .
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin