Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,992   Online: 804

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Bizarely this just turned up on BB News...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/5081744.stm

Art is what people will pay $800 for...

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    why not contact him directly with your benevolence rather than trying to gather the lynch mob?
    Why? Apprently the guy was obnoxious enough to even preclude taking the time and effort to do something like this. I know Dan, and he does not suffer fools gladly, and I agree with him, if you are selling something for $800 that cost $20 to make, you better be prepared to speak intelligently and capably about your work, it is the least respect one can show a potential purchaser.

I havent found Dan to be dishonet so I am pretty sure his recount of the incident is pretty close to what happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Why? Apprently the guy was obnoxious enough to even preclude taking the time and effort...
    Were you there? I think I asked Dan. I'd also still like to hear the photographer's side. That is if it is OK with you?

B.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Were you there? I think I asked Dan. I'd also still like to hear the photographer's side. That is if it is OK with you?

B.
    excuse me.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two schools of thought, The "ART" school which teaches the ability to be a pompous ass--I have a MFA so I'm an arteest.
    And the technical which teaches technique first and later advances into creative seeing.
    I feel that if you need to go along with your "artwork" to explain it, it has failed.
    If you don't have a response prepared to defend your claim to be a "fine artist" and want $800 a print. You haven't done your homework and need to go back to school for the I'm an arteest 101 class.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think Poco hit the nail on the head. the best explaination of what "fine art" is I've ever read.

As far as the gallery altercation, they were both ignorant. Nothing much more you can say than that IMHO.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    I think Poco hit the nail on the head. the best explaination of what "fine art" is I've ever read.

As far as the gallery altercation, they were both ignorant. Nothing much more you can say than that IMHO.
    Eric,
    I agree with you on Poco's description...very well stated.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would have answered the woman, but the question would have been different because I don't call my photography 'Fine Art <fill in w/ subject>', just as I never referred to my painting or sculpture as 'Fine Art... '.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer
    There are two schools of thought, The "ART" school which teaches the ability to be a pompous ass--I have a MFA so I'm an arteest.
    This statement is complete BS.

What is sad is that, at least here in the States, the humanities are so woefully covered that art (this includes poetry, prose, music, on and on) might as well be rocket science and those committed to it aliens from another world.

There may be arrogance among some artists. Hell, how would you maintain your self esteem when much of the public refers to you with disdain ('arteest') even though it is readily apparent they haven't a clue about you or the subject?

In my experience many young artists are arrogant. This has more to do with their age than their field of study. Most older artists I know are generally smart, maybe eccentric, always interesting, but not the stereotype that is trotted out here on APUG time and again.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    jerry

i am sure he charges what the market will bear, just as a commercial photographer will charge 2-3,000$ / day as a "day rate" ... because people will pay them that much ...
    Top celebrity and fashion photographers charge $25,000 per day.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

A "fine art" photograph is one that sells for more than it cost to make it.

If it "moves" you then it is a "moving fine art" photograph.

If not, it's just a run of the mill "fine art" photograph.

Many people make the mistake of confusing marketing with substance.

The answer to the lady in questions, question is simply "It's a fine art photograph because I'm charging $800 for it.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin