Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,859   Online: 945

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

'Fine Art' and 'just another pitcher'...

Was at a gallery opening and the photographer was asked by someone why his photos were so expensive. (minimum was $800) He put up a real attitude and replied 'these are Fine Art photographs'.(while dripping with superiority and disdain for the lady who asked the question... all the while dressed in black and holding a wine glass)
    Then she asked him what made them 'fine art' and not 'just another pitcher'?(Utahns have a tough time pronouncing picture)

He was stumped without an answer and just glared at her and walked away.

She left without buying anything. (and I know she had the funds as she collects art of various types, including photography)

The photographer was asked the same thing a few other times and failed to answer or explain to each time, losing sales as well as respect from a number who were at the opening.

I know he visits this site... so, what is the difference. Maybe it will help him next time so he can give a simple explanation and not have to do the 'offended artist' act.

Shooter
    Large Format
    LOL....thanks Dan, I was sorely missing a laugh. Thank God I have always strive to make just pretty pitchers...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'll drink to that! Another pitcher for everyone. Grin.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A fine art print expresses something, whereas just another picture does nothing more than capture the moment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thar aint no way y'all-er-gonna git yer lasso arownd this-un! One folks "pitcher" is'n'other folks "fyne-art photee-oh-graph".

That thar photee-oh-grapher shudda known if'n he's a gonna spew his eemoshonal guts against the gallery wall, he better be comfterble in the saddle when the kwestyuns come. Not that he'd havta explain'em, butt maybee make the asker keep askin kwestyuns until the asker stumbles over the asner themselves.

Moo-ray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm sure I am behind the times but I consider a fine art print one that expresses something to the viewer and also is printed on fiber based fine art paper, limited in printing. I of course work in black and white so I am quite prejudiced. I don't know about color pieces but surely an ink jet print is not fine art. At least to me, but then who else cares what I think but me? It is awfully nice to have a place to say what I think though.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin

Moo-ray
    [font=Fixedsys]'zactly[/font].
    [font=Book Antiqua][size=3]
    and so eloquently expressed, too.[/size][/font]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Fine art to me is imagery with a voice -- a voice that communicates the opinion expressed by the artist -- displayed in a way that shows respect to the image and to a standard of excellence.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format

The Lady had a point...

The photographer on the other could have tried to explain why the photograph was the way it was, what his thoughts were, what went into making the exposure and how the actual print was made... And then added that only time will tell if a photograph, or a painting, or a sculpture is a true work of art.

By "lumping" photography with painting and other established art forms (in the lady's mind set) he might have been able to make her understand and perhaps have her purchase a print...
    then again may be not???

-----------------------------------------

Photography is an important art form
    ...as long as there are artists who use photography to express themselves...

PV-2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    [font=Fixedsys]'zactly[/font].
    [font=Book Antiqua][size=3]
    and so eloquently expressed, too.[/size][/font]
    S'no problum...just try'in ta con-trib-yoot t'the overall unmudificayshyun of y'all fallow APE-BUGGERERS...um...APE-UGGERS owt thar

moo-ray

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin