Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,683   Online: 816

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Half Century

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    If I am not mistaken, Richard Avedon was shooting Hugo Boss underwear ads in his 80's with a massive day rate.
    And, I know the when I spoke with Peter Gowland I believe in November? or December? he was alive and well, still conducting business, and I believe about 90.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    The real milestones have been hanging around other photographers with similar intentions, but better skills. Lee Carmichael, Matt Magruder, Les McLean, et al; met through APUG and/or at various workshops (you know who you are ), have been incalculable influences.

However, had I met such people 20 years ago, my ego and relative immaturity might have not let the influences "take", if you will. So maybe being over 50 really has made a difference in that respect.

Cheers,

50 is the new 30 ... :o
    Well, David.... I know that the only possible influences I could have had on you would have been all bad. hahaha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all for the responses - and birthday wishes.

Reading through the responses makes me think that my original post may have come across as being a little bit too somber.

I am looking forward to the future - I was mainly curious as to what others thought about the 50 "milestone", and whether it affected their perspective.

I was also curious whether those who are younger have thought much about it (I guess we have found at least one topic that Marko doesn't want to comment on - or start a poll about ).

And with respect to my passing on best wishes to Jorge and to Cheryl Jacobs - I wanted to do so, and I thought it added appropriate perspective to do so in this thread.

Thanks again,

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt -

Happy Birthday!

Late last week I was out with my camera making a picture of an old barn. A guy was driving by and say what I was doing, and chose to stop to chat for a while. (That happens when you are using a view camera.)

Anyway, during the conversation he said something about age, referred to his own age as "60's", and implied that I was older. Now, it may have been the hat I was wearing (something that you tend to do when you get older - to cover up the bald spot), or it may have been the gray hair (which turned gray when I was in college four decades ago), or it could have been because I was using that "old" view camera, but the fact is that I'm actually younger than he was!

Age is what you make it to be. I like to think that I'm in my mid-30's. Mentally, in terms of my outlook on life, that's probably about right. Physically - - - well, we won't go there.

But if you think young, you are young. That's what really counts.

Now,how does that affect photography? I think there are several answers. First, if you take advantage of the experience that comes with having been around the block a few times, you have made a lot of mistakes, and know what to do to avoid making the same mistakes over again. But, if you think young, you will retain a healthier sense of adventure and a willingness to take risks, and that will tend to make your photography more vital and alive. Yes, that means you will probably make a few mistakes, but becaue of the experience factor, they won't be the same ones you have made before.

I remember when I was 55. I took a workshop that year on the nude in the landscape. And I was part of a group that got busted by the cops for having a nude model in a public place. Three months later, I entered one of the images from that workshop in a show, and after a couple of days the director called to explain that he had to take my image down because of the complaints that he had received.

Wow - after living for quietly and conservatively 55 years, I finally did something outrageous!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'll be 56 in about a month. I didn't begin to photograph well, either technically or aesthetically, until I was 53.

This had nothing to do with my age. I ran into mentors in 2002 who "turned on the lights". This could just as well have happened at 22 as at 52. In fact, a photographer I know who was 22 at the time took the same workshop I did. He seems to have acquired the same gnosis I did even though we differ in age by some 30 years.

I've come to believe that it's never too late to do anything you care about.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    Reading through the responses makes me think that my original post may have come across as being a little bit too somber.

Matt
    No, Matt, it's OK. As you approach 60, this will be nothing ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As someone on the short side of 50 (mid 30s), I want to be somewhere that my work is exhibited, appreciated, and I can earn a decent income off it. I hope that my brain does not stultify sufficiently by the time that I turn 50 (or 60, or any other age) that I cease to grow and mature artistically and intellectually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy Birthday!

Life is all about living and learning. I'm 52 and I feel like I'm thirty. My photography is improving (in no small part thanks to this site) and so is my life. I've been a single parent for years and have enjoyed my kids as the focus of my life. Now they are 24 and 19. My 19 year old daughter just bought her first motorcycle (500 ninja) and my son, who has multiple disabilities, just started his first job. Life just keeps getting better and better. I'm not bragging by any stretch of the imagination. It just seems that the harder I work and the more positive my outlook, the more luck I seem to have.

Turning 50 is the best yet.

My aim in old age is to be shot by a jealous husband when I'm 99. (just kidding)

Rick
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    As someone on the short side of 50 (mid 30s), I want to be somewhere that my work is exhibited, appreciated, and I can earn a decent income off it. I hope that my brain does not stultify sufficiently by the time that I turn 50 (or 60, or any other age) that I cease to grow and mature artistically and intellectually.
    In all honesty, brain stultification sets in shortly after one has passed through his/her mid-30's! By the time you reach 50 you are in a hopeless state.

And, despite desparate scientific research for a cure, this situation is irreversible. In fact neither pomegranite juice nor green tea mixtures can stem the degeneration despite what the ads tell you!

Indeed, within a few years you will discover that a brain's attitude begins to shrink in equal inverse proportion to the growth of its wisdom!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy Birthday Matt!

not 50 yet so I'll just take notes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin