Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,502   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Half Century

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Half Century

Thoughts and questions near the end of my birthday - as I turn 50.

I think of all the blessings I have - family, friends, joys and experiences.

I wonder what is to come - will I have more time and opportunities to enjoy my photography, as compared to the last few years. Certainly I have the desire to do so, thanks to a great extent to having discovered APUG and all the people here.

I’ve had a fine day - a tough day at the office, but otherwise many good wishes (and a few jokes, and some truly twisted and funny cards) from lots of people. I have received generous gifts from my lovely wife and my wonderful parents, and a wonderful meal at a special restaurant that I have wanted to visit for a long time.

Turning 50 probably has the same effect on me as it does on many - it makes me think of things.

For this post, I have two questions, and two wishes.

Question 1 - for those of you who have already attained and passed the age of 50, did you find that your photographic vision continued to grow and mature after you passed this artificial milestone? If so, how?

Question 2 - for those of you who have a ways to go until you reach this age, where do you want to be (photographically) when you are 50?

My two wishes are directed to two who have shared personal experiences here:

Jorge - much strength, good luck and healing - get well!

Cheryl Jacobs - much happiness in your pending marriage.

Paradoxically, no photographs were taken today. That’s okay - there will be lots taken in the future, and the memories will linger in any event.

No one should feel the need to respond to this thread, but if you would like to, I look forward to checking for responses tomorrow when I log in.

Matt

P.S. I've posted this in the "Ethics and Philosophy" forum, but if it should be in the "Lounge" instead, please feel free to move it.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing

Turning 50 probably has the same effect on me as it does on many - it makes me think of things.

Question 1 - for those of you who have already attained and passed the age of 50, did you find that your photographic vision continued to grow and mature after you passed this artificial milestone? If so, how?
    Matt, just do not think about it ! You probably do not feel any different than you did the day before you were 50, so what is the big deal?!

My photography did not take off until past 50 as it was then that I had more time. Previously I took "touristy" slides but later I determined to find out more about photography, went to part time classes, learned about photographers, the history of photography, set up my own darkroom and produced my own work. You could say that my vision expanded as I became much more involved with b & w photography and covered the whole process. I had pictures accepted for salons and competitions. So age means nothing in this context.

We all have Jorge and any others who need our thoughts and good wishes at this time in our minds and wish them well.

By the way, I am another year older today !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I turned 50 almost 5 years ago - this year is "double nickles"!

Nowadays, I do think I've gotten more reflective generally and that this has impacted my photography in subtle ways.

For instance, I am shooting a lot of flowers and other flora (i.e. close-up and marco work) - whereas in the past I was more interested in "scenes" be it city street or landscapes. I believe I am also a more patient shooter - figuring that if I don't get "the shot" now - I'll get it later.

Most of all, I am shooting more generally than before - perhaps in anticipation of future leisure time. Thus seeing photography as an important endeavor I will want to pursue in even greater depth when I finally get to have more time on my hands than I know what to do with!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thoughts and questions near the end of my birthday - as I turn 50.

I think of all the blessings I have - family, friends, joys and experiences.
    I have received generous gifts from my lovely wife and my wonderful parents, and a wonderful meal at a special restaurant that I have wanted to visit for a long time.

For this post, I have two questions, and two wishes.

Question 2 - for those of you who have a ways to go until you reach this age, where do you want to be (photographically) when you are 50?
    No one should feel the need to respond to this thread, but if you would like to, I look forward to checking for responses tomorrow when I log in.

Matt

P.S. I've posted this in the "Ethics and Philosophy" forum, but if it should be in the "Lounge" instead, please feel free to move it.
    First, Happy 50th, Matt! Welcome to the club!

I have to say that I am really not qualified to answer this, even though I am 50 (with a few years of experience). I never really started photography until right around the time when I turned 50... so I am an old newbie! haha

I have no idea where I am going with my photography, only that I want to improve. I guess I am waiting for an epiphany! haha Better come quickly!

I am so happy that you have your parents still with you and can spend time with them. I cannot tell you how deeply I miss my Mom who passed away almost a year after I turned 50. It is wonderful that you treasure the people in your life.

So, Happy b-day to you!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Later this year it is the double nickle for me, too. At Fifty, I decided to look back photographically and the result was the "Fifty Project." (You can see it on my web site.) I think that my vision has improved, but my eyesight is headed in the other direction. Why does that happen? I think that my photographs have become more personal rather than imitations of what I think a photograph should be. I am more selfish in my vision, trusting my own opinion rather than what I think others might want.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Happy Birthday Matt!

I'd like to be considered a 'master printer' by 50, which gives me a little over 4 years. Wish me luck...

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt,

Happy Birthday!!!

I hit that mark 2 1/2 years ago. Didn't phase me. Just keep going forward, enjoy life, your family and friends and photography.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Happy Birthday!

I'm 55 - for the record. Turning 50 did nothing for my photography; being, as you said, an artificial milestone. The real milestones have been hanging around other photographers with similar intentions, but better skills. Lee Carmichael, Matt Magruder, Les McLean, et al; met through APUG and/or at various workshops (you know who you are ), have been incalculable influences.

However, had I met such people 20 years ago, my ego and relative immaturity might have not let the influences "take", if you will. So maybe being over 50 really has made a difference in that respect.

Cheers,

50 is the new 30 ... :o

Shooter
    35mm
    Happy Birthday from a (soon to be) 46-year-old!

May I suggest a birthday present to yourself, since you're reflecting on 50 years?

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamilton...oducts/4139771

AT THE EDGE OF THE LIGHT: Thoughts on Photography & Photographers, Talent & Genius.
    By David Travis.
    ISBN 1567922112
    $12.95

David Travis is the Curator of Photography at The Art Institute of Chicago. One of the things he treats in his book is how genius is freed, refined, and made altogether better by, well, age. His specific example is Edward Weston, with examples of work produced by poets, authors, and other artists past the age of 50. An example here:

http://www.sfmoma.org/exhibitions/ex...tail.asp?id=30

Happy Birthday again, and you'll have to let us know how the photography is from where you are (grin).
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If I am not mistaken, Richard Avedon was shooting Hugo Boss underwear ads in his 80's with a massive day rate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin