Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,314   Online: 1041

Thread: New Style?

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New Style?

I was at the Waterfront Festival here over the weekend and one of the photgs showing there had changed styles significantly from prior years. The landscapes had been supersaturated with color to the point of being posterized. She was not present to answer questions at that moment, and I didn't stick around just to talk about how much less I liked the current work. But I do have questions.

1. Is this a new trend in the art world that I have missed, or just this photogs decision?

2. Can anyone think of a traditional method that would have produced this look, or is this a symptom of d*** manipulation? The camera was sitting right there, a somewhat ragged Toyo.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Velvia and _Outdoor Photography_ have pushed color landscape photography that way for a while. The option of pumping up the saturation a little more in PS just seems like an extension of that tendency.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's why I still use Kodachrome - most E-6 films available are too over-saturated for my taste. I think it must be a function of our society, and although I respect everyone's right to have their own opinions, I have felt for some time that more and more people need to be bludgeoned over the head in order to get any reaction; be it from taste, sound, visual stimuli, etc. Subtlety is fast becoming a thing of the past...

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tried shooting people with Velvia, never again. Especially if it's under exposed a bit. Have any of you ever noticed how many people turn the saturation on their tv's up? It's enough to drive me crazy. Many people must like it that way.

Doug

Shooter
    35mm
    It may be the new trend in color but it's certainly not one that I can appreciate. I prefer and aim for subtle myself.

I guess, if a little is good, more must be better.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    I get tired of seeing over-saturated over-warmed pics in the magazines. It's self-perpetuating, people aspire to it. Probably the same people with televisions that look like 16-bit computer games.

Velvia,polariser,warm-up is the new mantra.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin