Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,419   Online: 720

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415161718 LastLast

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHensel
    Not even close. you need to revisit her site and study the images, and lighting techniques, more

Again, I disagree. Greenberg has an easily identifiable style...look again.

Settle down just a tad, this is just a diversion on the internet...no one is being repressed, or killed...the kids in those photos are two years removed from the sittings and doubtless are just fine.
    Are they? As adults we might be able to move on easily, kids do not. My four year suffered from an incident just the other day that happened when he was two. When he was Two, and on his first halloween excursion, a costume clad teenager got on his level and it scared him pretty bad. Now, two years later he sees the same costume on TV as part of an advertisement for a "scary" show that would be on later, and it scares him so bad he climbs into my lap literally shaking.

What we as adults might consider temporary is not necessarily so for children.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just what we need...more children crying. As if there aren't enough children crying in this world that someone has to force them to be upset just to make a buck.
    I'm so glad I do wedding photography. At least most of the time people are smiling and laughing. And when they cry it's because they are happy.
    We've had many discussions on this forum about qualifying art. Somehow, any semblence of art in these photos is lost for me. I don't get it. If it is an attempt to link it to a political message, it just goes to show you how fake most political messages are.
    Regarding the photographer's methods of getting the shots - if the stories are true - it's criminal. Consent by parents in this case should be investigated by child protective services.

Lou

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "If no one else will I will file the complaint. Just point me in the right F*cking direction."

The LA districts attorney's office. And believe it or not, one of them IS her child. She describes how she got her child to cry...MADE her stand on an apple crate that was rickety and the child did not feel confortable standing on, but was forced to...hence the crying. Yep, she's a sicko alright.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "if the stories are true"

Follow the links posted to her interview with American Photo and the podcast of that. She'll tell you in her own words what she did...to a point. You have to get past the lollipop phrase to hear the other things. Like sending parents out of the room, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, Jill Greenberg did what she did, and some will hate her, some will ustify her. But, this thread make me think. You know, there is one specific situation in life of photojurnalist. There are situation in which, in this example in war situation, especially civil war situations, one will kill someone because of photographer. Now, don't get me wrong, photographer is not guilty, he or she is not one who ask anyone to be killed. Kiling will be made just because photographer is there. Because murderer want that killing to be photographed. And if photographer is not there, that killing would not have point, and maybe would not be made. So, photographer also can be aware of that situation, and can leave, or stay to photograph that murder. Now, if photographer stay, he or she is guilty for that murder, even if photographer didn't asked or searched for murder situation. Now, what Jill did opposite of that photojurnalist. That photojournalist knows thet only reason for that murder ot be done is because he or she is there with camera to photograph it. Nobody held that photojournalist responsabile, and I think it is worse that what Jill greensberg did.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Haris, you certainly make an interesting point. Although I would never have thought of the situation you compared. I guess living in Sarajevo gives you a different perspective.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting perspective Haris. Yes, I'm sure the horrors in Sarajevo were extreme and children's lives were lost or in dandger of being lost. It's not the same situation for sure.
    But, no matter the degree of abuse, any act of aggression against a child is child abuse.
    I'm sure the children in the photographs were in no real physical danger but they were mentally abused to some degree - for the sole purpose of making money not parental discipline. The pretense under which these images were created is certainly not to be called photojournalism as they were completely posed and contrived. If I hit a dog with a baseball bat and photographed it in pain, and then charged $4500 for a gallery print under the guise that I was showing the horror of animal cruelty, I would expect not to be recognized by the photographic community, but to be thrown in jail.

Lou

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, what I wrote above was not experience from living in Sarajevo. Living in Sarajevo had next experience: There were streets which were known that sniper shot across them. But we had to go there to work to hoslpitals to get water, etc... So, photographers take theire positions in secure place near one of those streest, waiting someone to be shot with sniper, and take photograph of shoted person.

I wrote previous post to underline that there are many morally questionable situations, and I see that some are taken lighter than others. I don't think just because childrenare in matter in Jill Greensberg case that she is more or less moraly (or legaly)gulty than others who use morally questionable ways to make photograph. We can not allowe ourselves to act and react harder on her just because we are more (most) sensitied because she used cildren. I am not defending her, I told before I don't like children to be "pro" models no matter what kind of photography is in matter, but I didn't see threads this long about other morally questionable ways to make photograph.

Look, no matter how bad anything is, I am sure someone can come up with something worse. The old "it's no big deal compared to war, pestilence and Jeffrey Dahlmer" argument is just sidestepping the issue.

With regards to the artistic merit and/or skill shown in the pieces, considering the circumstances under which they were created, I have to ask if it even matters.

Let's just for a moment consider what the reaction would be to, say, audio tracks of children brought to the point of screaming angst by a recording artist. Would anybody give a rat's ass about how well they were recorded? If Bob Ezrin himself recorded childrens' screams provoked by Bono using the same microphone Lennon used to record "All You Need is Love", would it matter?

What if they were movie clips? Anyone figure that Steven Speilsberg could make the clips so lucious to look at, so well lit and produced that he too could get away with making 30 some kids cry by yanking away their lollypop, sending mom and dad out of the room or by having them stand on shakey boxes till they freak?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin