Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,473   Posts: 1,597,540   Online: 1315

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigK
    Look, no matter how bad anything is, I am sure someone can come up with something worse. The old "it's no big deal compared to war, pestilence and Jeffrey Dahlmer" argument is just sidestepping the issue.

With regards to the artistic merit and/or skill shown in the pieces, considering the circumstances under which they were created, I have to ask if it even matters.

Let's just for a moment consider what the reaction would be to, say, audio tracks of children brought to the point of screaming angst by a recording artist. Would anybody give a rat's ass about how well they were recorded? If Bob Ezrin himself recorded childrens' screams provoked by Bono using the same microphone Lennon used to record "All You Need is Love", would it matter?

What if they were movie clips? Anyone figure that Steven Speilsberg could make the clips so lucious to look at, so well lit and produced that he too could get away with making 30 some kids cry by yanking away their lollypop, sending mom and dad out of the room or by having them stand on shakey boxes till they freak?
    I didn't want to say it is nothing compared to war, but never mind, I can't express myself more precise on foreign language, and English is foreign language for me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J Greenberg
    "Some of this frenzy and furore has been escalating to the point where people are comparing me to Michael Jackson and, ultimately, Hitler," she says. "It's really gone off the deep end. I didn't anticipate this at all."
    Call me a hopeless cynic, but I suspect Ms Greenberg hoped it would go this way otherwise why would she tell anyone and everyone her method?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fact that Greenberg is using the children to 'mirror' her OWN feelings and that it is therefore supposedly very personal work makes it somewhat...well....lacking in imagination at very best. I didn't realise her motivation was so much based on herself, I thought it was more to do with the plight of chidren in a wider sense. That doesn't work either, but the fact that she couldn't even delve into her own heart and give something of herself in her pictures - some sense of her own suffering perhaps? - seriously limits her in my eyes as an artist - all other considerations apart (not that they can be set apart, but I've already stated what I feel about that much earlier in the thread).

What I also don't understand is why anyone would actually buy any of these ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    I didn't want to say it is nothing compared to war, but never mind, I can't express myself more precise on foreign language, and English is foreign language for me...
    Dear Haris,

I understood you to mean that some photographers sometimes do a number of things that are morally dubious. I did not not understand you to say that making children cry was the equivalent of shooting people. Unless I read you wrong, I think you expressed yourself more clearly than many who think they speak good English.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suppose she succeeded, you know. She's got some fairly knowledgeable people on an internet website discussing her "art".

Somewhere in this discussion, I copied the following quote, "Again, one can never tell what future generations will have to say about what is created today." Sorry, I don't remember who posted it (mind's too muddled this late in the workday.)

To that comment I have to say I can only hope and pray future generations haven't been so f***ed up by their parents they can't recognize shallow self indulgent horse manure when they see it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some reactions are getting over the top. Watching Fox news would have you thinking everyone passed on the street is either a terrorist, a child molester, or both. Rational people realize the world is not that simple. Or that horrible. Some are making this woman a monster because of a few photos on a website; yet none of us here know the entire story behind them. (This is not an an endorsement of the work, either.)

Argue the art, or lack thereof. But to suggest this woman should be arrested or go to jail is too much. It also is exactly what's wanted by creating these images - a big knee-jerk reaction to draw attention to her business.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenS
    Argue the art, or lack thereof. But to suggest this woman should be arrested or go to jail is too much. It also is exactly what's wanted by creating these images - a big knee-jerk reaction to draw attention to her business.
    Spot on. And if there were any art there she wouldn't need the gimmick to draw attention to herself.

BTW, some of the work on your website is just splendid. Some of the best photojournalism I've ever seen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Spot on. And if there were any art there she wouldn't need the gimmick to draw attention to herself.

BTW, some of the work on your website is just splendid. Some of the best photojournalism I've ever seen.

I agree with c6h6o3, we could spend our time in far better manner by viewing and discussing StephenS's work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to above comments for pointing me in the direction of StepehenS's work.

Stephen - I agree, your work has great simplicity - in the best possible sense - and power. And yes, maybe it's time to discuss more interesting work and lay this particular artist (Greenberg) to rest.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenS
    Some reactions are getting over the top. Watching Fox news would have you thinking everyone passed on the street is either a terrorist, a child molester, or both. Rational people realize the world is not that simple. Or that horrible. Some are making this woman a monster because of a few photos on a website; yet none of us here know the entire story behind them. (This is not an an endorsement of the work, either.)

Aw, there you go injecting common sense into this thread! Why rain on the parade like that? I bet you like popping kids balloons to make them cry too....oh wait...nevermind.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin