Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,311   Online: 951

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718

Quote Originally Posted by thebanana
    The latest edition of American Photo has a story about Jill Greenberg, a photographer in L.A. who specilaizes in taking portraits of crying children under the age of 3. The upshot is that she actually creates the conditions that force them to cry, in order to take the shots. She does this by removing their clothes, giving them a candy and then taking it away. placing them in uncomfortable positions etc. Her critics contend that what she is doing amounts to chiuld abuse. Her own comments tend to support that view in my mind. I think this is the most disgusting story I've ever read about a photographer.
    Nah - my two year old will just cry if you even look at him the wrong way - crying at least 60% of the time is their natural state of being for many of them. Photos of them NOT crying would be unnatural. Hey - I can even make him cry on demand. It's supper time - he says "cookie" daddy says "no": Waaaaaaaaaaaaa. No, if I too had found a way to make money from that I'd be retired in the Caymans by now....

BTW - how do you think they get those kids to cry for all those TV diaper ads etc you probably don't even notice you watch all the time?

and did someone else say it here (or elsewhere?)

"Alternatively: we happily apply sanctions that lead to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of children over a period of a decade ("that is a price we are prepared to pay", remember that?), but taking the lollipops of a few first world kids who'll get them back as soon as the shoot is over and never even remember the event ten minutes later is a bad thing?"

get a sense of perspective.... man some folks are uptight!

Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    We condone the torture of animals for medical knowledge but we don't condone the torture of animals for fun.
    Michael
    we condone plenty of it for profit, sport and vanity of one sort or another

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    In my state, Maryland, Family Law 5-701 defines this as emotional abuse.

"Mental injury means the observable, identifiable and substantial impairment of a child's mental or psychological ability to function."

Greenberg's camera really helps out here with the "observable, identifiable" part of the statute. I'd turn her in in a heartbeat.
    substantial - hmmm - time to turn in the president then!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    So a Law - whether it be God's or Man's - is the only way to tell Right from Wrong? Poor Socrates: the unexamined life may not be worth living but it sure is abundant!

Joe
    Law is only common thing for all people on certain area, in this case country. What I think is moral, you may not and vice versa. So, I do something, you don't like that and you start to do something against me. Who gives you right, how you know your moral stand is correct? Or vice versa. That is why people invented something which they agreed upon, agreed it will apply to all people on certain area, and called it law.

Moral is too individual to be "measure unit" to all people. Law, with all its errors, is something theoretically all people on certain area agree to fulfill.

That is why moral is not valid in these kind of discussions, by my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This thread makes me cry.

Now if you want manipulative obscene photogrpahs of cxhildren (manipulated probably by both parents and photogrpahers), there is much worse imo - e.g.:

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,...9MTQ_3,00.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    Now if you want manipulative obscene photogrpahs of cxhildren (manipulated probably by both parents and photogrpahers), there is much worse imo - e.g.:

I guess it's a matter of indoctrination isn't it? Do you think the kids are taught that they're superior racially as in pre WWll germany?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer
    I guess it's a matter of indoctrination isn't it? Do you think the kids are taught that they're superior racially as in pre WWll germany?
    No doubt I'll get lynched for this, but another photographer noted the eerie and uncanny similarity here:

http://retiredrambler.typepad.com/to...tler_youth.jpg

(yes, I know there are plenty of infant hezbollah pix out there too, but this is about the uncanny echo and something to do with the visceral power of photographs...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A lot of the Greenberg brouha came out of flickr and certain people who grandstanded on it to draw hits to their sites.

As ever, the same corporations are more than happy to attract hits using the same attractor:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/crying/interesting/

If you think Greenberg is a blowhard based on her comments, fine. But you'd be a fool to think she's not a terrific photographer and a bigger one to think this bit of her work is somehow uniquely inhuman or evil, which it certainly is not. It has been a magnet for little internet demagogues, however.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin