Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,202   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Ashamed to be photographed?

In the thread about 'what don't you photograph on the street', two people have expressed their opposition to having their picture taken, in quite strong terms.

This intrigues me. When I'm in public, I'm fair game. Why shouldn't I be? What have I to be ashamed of?

How do others feel about this? And how do they feel about people who feel they have some sort of right not to be photographed?

How much poorer would photography be if everyone took this pusillanimous attitude? What would happen to our understanding of the past? Because, afer all, the present soon becomes the past...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not aware of having ever had my picture taken by a stranger in the street, but I suppose my attitude would depend on whatever I was doing at that moment and on how pretty the photographer might be.
    If someone objected to me taking a picture of them I'd feel it would be rude to insist, that's why -hypocritically- I try not to be noticed when I release the shutter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The words ashamed and pusillanimous (cowardly - timorous) just might be a wee bit too strong in this context...maybe they just don't want their 'private space' invaded by a stranger stuffing a lens in their faces.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    In the thread about 'what don't you photograph on the street', two people have expressed their opposition to having their picture taken, in quite strong terms.

This intrigues me. When I'm in public, I'm fair game. Why shouldn't I be? What have I to be ashamed of?

How do others feel about this? And how do they feel about people who feel they have some sort of right not to be photographed?

How much poorer would photography be if everyone took this pusillanimous attitude? What would happen to our understanding of the past? Because, afer all, the present soon becomes the past...

Cheers,

Roger

First you're going to have to explain "pusillanimous". Only $.25 words allowed here...no $1.00 ones

Personally I don't like it, but if I don't know then big deal.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    ....When I'm in public, I'm fair game.....
    I agree with you, Roger. Consider all those "security" cameras watching and recording our every move.
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=Alexis Neel]First you're going to have to explain "pusillanimous". Only $.25 words allowed here...no $1.00 ones
    QUOTE]

Lit: 'small minded' (from the Latin)

By extension: bloody-minded, Jobsworth ('more than my job's worth, that is, mate'), awkward, not too bright.

I think the late Tony H...H... 'Ancock used it quite a lot.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Murray,

Doesn't have to be 'in your face', though, does it?

And if you only notice afterwards, well...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I don't particularly like my own picture being taken, I don't get the argument that taking a picture of someone on public land is somehow in one's private space. Why bother going out in public then?

I don't think anyone here is advocating being a paparzzi, but a picture of you in public is fair game (except in the Province of Quebec - the only place in the Western Hemisphere).

The replies I've read remind me of a couple ex-girlfriends I have. I'm still very good friends with them and a couple times, when we've gone out afterwards, I remember them being ...ahem ... shy. I keep reminding them that all I have to do is blink and voila! Instant recall of some of our more intimate moments and some interesting parts of their anatomy too.

What did they think, that I'd lose my memory after we broke up?

Blink, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If 'pusillanimous' is applicable, then I think that it should be applied to many street photographers. The sneaky ones, who try to take our pictures without us being aware - and fail, most of the time. I'll also add superficiality to the charges. They haven't the guts to engage, to connect with their subject, because all we are to them is an opportunity to demonstrate their cleverness.

That's what I don't like: being a part of a shallow photo.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm okay to be on either side as long as there's some kind of manner being practiced. It's a matter of how I communicate with other people in most cases, and I usually do okay.

And I keep the photos I have taken as private as I can to avoid the potential problems in the future.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin