Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,797   Online: 1036

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Images
    Here's a link to a barely related thread that I started last summer.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15367
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Absolutely untrue. I will cook a three course meal from basic, fresh ingredients while you microwave a TV dinner. Tell me which end result you prefer.
    Not only do fresh ingredients produce more palatable food (IMO) but I quite enjoy the process. Personally I can't stand the taste or texture of foods cooked in a microwave, which is why I don't own one. I've often gotten the comment that they are at least good for reheating food - yeah but an oven and range is good for reheating food too.

Some foods do take longer to prepare but not all home cooked meals require three hours or even a hour. There are also plenty of microwave dishes that require special prep and lots of turning and stirring before it's done. And some of them take much longer than 10 minutes to heat.

My favorite simple recipe is egg dumplings, which I belief is just my families variation on spaetzle.

For myself I use 1/4 cup of flour and one egg. Stir, but do not beat. Drop bits from the end of a butter knife into boiling water. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Top with about a tablespoon of melted butter and a dash (I don't measure this stuff) of milk. Season with salt to taste.

Quick, easy, delicious.

I'd share my recipe for tabouleh but I don't measure anything but the bulgar, olive oil and lemon juice. The rest I do by sight. Such is the way I do most of my cooking. I remember when I couldn't cook without a recipe and now I cook a lot of my own creations off the top of my head, by sight, smell and taste. I've tried measuring so that I can write recipes down but it only mucks up the process and ruins the food.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Anyone know how to turn an old 70-210 zoom into a peppermill?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger I agree, my photography is like my meal portions; miniature.

Shooter
    35mm
    "The end justifies the means", is what I think sometimes, but not all the time when I'm dealing with photography.

When does "the end" really happen to "justify the means" since (at least some of the) best work is perhaps meant to be archived even after the death of a photographer?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I let my husband do the cooking when non-microwave cooking is done. Unfortunately, we do eat more microwave meals than we should.

And here I always compared photography to chemistry - guess cooking could be too, but I like doing inorganic chemistry (photography) - never really enjoyed organic chemistry (cooking).
    Diane

Halak 41

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham
    Anyone know how to turn an old 70-210 zoom into a peppermill?
    No, but there may be a market for a novelty item there. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3375251 for something similar in another gear obsessed hobby.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is one more aspect to the cooking/photography analogy and that is taste. My palette will react differently to seasoning and flavours to others tasting the same dish. When I cook I initially try to satisfy my own tastes and hope that others will appreciate and enjoy the food. However there's still the old "too much"/"not enough" argument and some people will just not enjoy the food. In that respect it's not much different than photography.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger,

I'm sorry to hear about Frances not feeling well. I hope it doesn't last too long and she is back in the darkroom. I do so enjoy her articles in B&W!
    I agree about good food. It is one of the pleasures of life and I remember the result more than the process when I am doing the eating. When I am doing the cooking I remember the process more than the result.

I will never forget the simple pleasure of biting into a freshly steamed dumpling while I was in China this past May! Delicious.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Maybe I'm just in a contrary mood today as I almost always stay away from such "conversations"... But I get the impression that lately Roger is extremely bored and having fun with the users here...

I don't understand the misunderstanding of Andy's comments? They are true and simply stated...

I also don't understand how so many can feel that photography or cooking or anything else in life depends solely on the finished 'product'?

I can sit for an hour on my shaving horse making a square stick into a round one with no thought at all of what the piece of wood will finally turn into. It's the simple pleasure of shavign the wood that counts...

I can spend hours working with bread dough with absolutely no thought of the final loaf. It make no difference. It's the simple pleasure of working with the dough that counts.

I can spend hours working with my 4x5 or 8x10 with little thought of what the final print will look like. It's the simple pleasure of working with a 70 year old wood camera and the processes surrounding it that entice me. The final print rarely matters...

Many enjoy the journey and care less for where or when they arrive!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin