Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,590   Posts: 1,545,952   Online: 1245

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BWKate
    Roger,

I'm sorry to hear about Frances not feeling well. I hope it doesn't last too long and she is back in the darkroom.
    Thanks. She made 4 prints today (first in a while) but that was as long as she could work. This affliction apparently lasts for months or even a year or two (started in earnest in February) so it's a long haul. She said to thank you for the message.

Cheers,

R

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    But I get the impression that lately Roger is extremely bored and having fun with the users here...
    See the above messages from/to BWKate: we have not been able to travel as much as we normally like, and Frances has had to spend several hours a day just resting.

But there is also a simple disbelief at some of the ways my observations or questions are taken. Good food and good pictures were, as it were, taken for granted. Though I suppose if you make bad food or pictures, no-one cares how you got there either!

Playing with dough and whittling for the sake of it are not things I had considered. Now I have. Thanks.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As in the other thread referenced by Flotsam, I'm a down-and-dirty grilling and BBQ fan. I'm not much in the kitchen unless the kitchen is in the backyard or a camp site somewhere. I like to play with fire. It satisfies my primal urges. I guess that's why I like doing black and white photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I enjoy cooking as much as I do photography. I spend way more time in the kitchen than in the darkroom (gotta eat).

I learned to cook the same way I learned photography. From a book. I figured to get the best results, I should probably understand the process from beginning to end.

I make many, many mistakes in both my photography and my cooking. But I've noticed that over time both have improved to the point where I make far less mistakes than I used to.

And in the right hands, a TV dinner can be as wonderful as a multi-course gourmet meal.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For me, cooking and darkroom do not mix. Fixer and sugar just do not taste the same, especially in coffee. Though one apartment I had the darkroom set up in the kitchen and used an 8' plastic sink over the stove that drained into the kitchen sink. Another place the darkroom was set up in one of the pantrys and I ran water off the laundry hook up in the adjoining pantry.

As far as learning the craft and technique of photography and darkroom, is very much like learning to cook. First learning to boil water, eggs, progressing to souffles, become a master chief.

If you can follow a recipe from a cookbook, you can learn to process film and make good prints. Then as you progress, apply all the variations of technique to produce great prints. Consistency in control of the variables, like temperature and time, but also how to depart from the norm to achieve the desired results.

Personally, I hate to cook, especially for myself. But I think I can whip up a pretty tasty print, no ketchup needed.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My whole point is, if I enjoy the process distinctly less than the outcome, I ought to arrange for someone else to provide the latter and find a more suitable former. In fact, if photography and darkroom were still a necessary drag like they were in my high school yearbook days, I wouldn't bother with them. In that narrow sense, hurray for digital.

Likewise if I were in the predicament that my mother faced in the mid sixties, I wouldn't bother learning the "domestic arts" any more than she did. It's regretable, but I'm glad I have the disposable time and income, and access to her mother's expertise, that have made it fun to cook well at my free discretion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some folks sure have funny ways of looking at things and weird ideas of what is important.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mentioned this thread to my cousin last night over dinner. He is a former fine art photographer who left the field for better pay back in the 80s. (As I may have mentioned, I come from a family of serious amateurs). He thought it was an interesting and accurate observation.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have to disagree that how you get to the end is secondary. In both photography and cooking the process can be as important as the finished product. There is a slow food movement where good ingredients are slowly prepared( such as fire roasting peppers) in good company and then enjoyed together. Yes, the end is terrific but getting there is as enjoyable. Likewise for me the process of shooting is a very enjoyable way to spend time and if I get a good negative and print, it is like a glass of port at the end of a meal.
    Just my thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being the house husband, I hate to cook, although I have to. I can come up with the most creative printing easily, but cooking...bah! I hate it and am so tired of having to do it and come up with something other than the usual weekly fare.

Now, washing dishes...I'm there! That to me is soooo zen. Like printing.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin