Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,266   Online: 1026

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" --Dalai Lama

This is painted on my kitchen wall. It could also apply to my way of doing photography! (yes, I go thru lots of film and paper!) :-)
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forgetting exactly how many minutes I'd been developing a roll of film for today I was reminded how I accidentally microwaved a left over sausage for too long and found out that sausages have the ability to explode. So far I'd say photography is a little more forgiving, but I never did like microwaves that much.
    Personally I enjoy the photographic process as much as I enjoy the finished result, same with cooking. Explosions just make for surprise interestingness.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually, microwaves are great for quick-thawing something that you forgot to take out of the freezer, or heating water. (My personal jones is for Paul Newman's Butter Boom microwave popcorn). They're also great for par-cooking potatoes for baking, do them about 3/4 of the way, then bake them, sprinkled with oil, salt and pepper. Garlic or basil oils work great for this. I just use the micro as another tool in the kitchen, like a food processor or my knives. Turn on the jazz, open a bottle of wine, and cook for my sweetie.
    r.j. phil

www.rjphil.com

"What if they're not dreams - what if they're instructions?"

Shooter
    Large Format
    I started with cooking and only recently took up photography. I just hope I dont end up with as much photography equipment as kitchen equipment, or I shall have no space at all. However some of the same shops that sell old cookery books sell old photography books.

Wondering which will be quicker to learn though...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think photography is much more related to fishing than to cooking...especially since it's easy to end up with really cold, wet feet in either case. But...it's also easy to end up with something to cook after fishing, and a big appetite after photographing so perhaps they're close after all.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cormack
    I started with cooking and only recently took up photography. I just hope I dont end up with as much photography equipment as kitchen equipment, or I shall have no space at all. However some of the same shops that sell old cookery books sell old photography books.

Wondering which will be quicker to learn though...
    Justin:

Lately, Ive found that the kitchen equipment stores are great sources for darkroom equipment too (graduated cylinders, digital thermometers, spice jars for concentrated solutions, etc.).

So maybe you were already partly equipped

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, some overlap with equipment - funnels and suchlike. And the digital pH meter I got for cheesemaking can measure stopbath exhaustion. But while my oven dishes are the right size to use as print trays I dont think its a very good idea...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some cooking things I have discovered
    Olive oil is flammable.
    Habinareos can be dangerous to your eyes.
    Prepare ALL your ingredients BEFORE you heat up the wok.
    Olive oil may not be the best choice for a wok.
    Charcoal is better than gas.
    Fixer tastes bad.
    Avoid turning your ingredients in charcol.
    Smoking your food is better than causing your food to smoke.
    Fire for boiling, coals for cooking. Not the other way around.
    Good ingredients do not mean a good meal. Trust me
    Poor ingredients "can" make a meal but only if it makes it past the tongue.
    I often end up taking the wife out cause I filled the kitchen with smoke.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin