Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,588   Online: 928

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Photography and cookery

I though of putting this in the lounge but it seemed more philosopical.

Photography seems to me to be uncommonly like cookery, and indeed, some of the ingredients are the same.

In both cases, too, it's the result that matters: how you get there is distinctly secondary.

Third, both are a state of mind rather than a matter of precisely following recipes: we've all met cooks who do everything by the book but whose meals are never inspired.

How many other photographers are also enthusiastic cooks? And for those who are, where do they get their ideas? I've just started posting recipes in my blog on www.rogerandfrances.com, with brief notes on where they came from. Frances and I have done a few cook-books but now it's mainly a hobby.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    In both cases, too, it's the result that matters: how you get there is distinctly secondary.
    Absolutely untrue. I will cook a three course meal from basic, fresh ingredients while you microwave a TV dinner. Tell me which end result you prefer.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Absolutely untrue. I will cook a three course meal from basic, fresh ingredients while you microwave a TV dinner. Tell me which end result you prefer.
    Eh?

What is 'absolutely untrue?'

If the food is good, it's good. How did TV dinners get into it?

And what can you cook that fast? Admittedly I don't know how long it takes to microwave a TV dinner, but I'd be surprised if it were more than 10 minutes. Three courses at three minutes each? I'd be surprised.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh yes, and I always called biochemistry a dead end evolutionary branch - see, we take meat, sometimes put it through grinder, salt it, even place everything in fridge... the only thing we don't do is eating our end result I think that those photographers who are good in lab should also be good cooks

Cheers, Zhenya

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Reply from Frances:

Fascinating! When are you going to post the recipes?

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Reply from Frances:

Fascinating! When are you going to post the recipes?

Cheers,

Roger
    I am not. They were taught to me by my mother, I shall teach them to my kids.

Although why you would want the recipes is beyond me, you have stated that the final result is more important than how you get there. So surely you will be happy with a microwave and whatever frozen processed ready meal rubbish you can find? You will have a meal at the end of the process.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i am lost, how did we get to "who likes to cook" to microwave and frozen foods?

I loved to cook and to entertain my friends over an evening of food and talk.
    Last edited by ann; 07-02-2006 at 06:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    Roger said: "it's the result that matters: how you get there is distinctly secondary"

I said this is untrue. You can use good fresh ingredients and make a meal from scratch, the end result will be vastly superior to a meal made using frozen, processed garbage and a microwave.

The statement that 'how you get there is secondary' is patently untrue.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't know if Andy is deliberately misunderstanding this or not. I can only assume that he must be.

"The end result" is good food. This could be almost any ingredients; it could be cooked over an open fire; or baked in an oven; or steamed; or shallow- or deep-fried; or stewed or cooked in many other ways.

It can be in the classical French style, the Szechuan style, the Mexican style, the Mediterranean style and (once again) more: all are a state of mind and a collection of ingredients, not a recipe.

You can cook it for five minutes or five hours; you can add garlic or not; the variations are endless. And what matters is the end result: how you get there is secondary. In fact, even a microwave has its place: a superb means of cooking crispy bacon.

Likewise in photography, the end result is a good picture. It doesn't matter whether you use Tri-X or HP5, or make enlargements or contact prints or use alternative processes. Good photographers make good pictures the same way good cooks make good meals, and it always goes beyond following recipes blindly.

As for Andy's refusal to share these recipes, perhaps we are suffering no great loss if they have made him the fine figure of a man that appears under his signature. Note to the slow of thinking: THAT IS A JOKE.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ann

I loved to cook and to entertain my friends over an evening of food and talk.
    Dear Ann,

You think YOU'RE lost? How do you think I feel? I am completely nonplussed at Andy's reading of this, which is about as far from my intention as can be imagined.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin