Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,120   Online: 843

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Elitism

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    There seems to be a continuing misunderstanding here. The 'oblige' in 'noblesse oblige' is an obligation upon the nobleman to behave well to his inferiors; it is the very opposite of what you implied in your original post.
    I was attempting to draw a parallel, but I see that I must simply spell it out.

A 'noble' sensing the obligation to render assistance to his 'inferiors' might be less than well-received when and if his 'inferiors' discovered in what regard he held them.

Likewise, an 'elite' on APUG or elsewhere might find in themselves a perceived obligation to share knowledge, to teach, to assist - and find their assistance introduced up their collective jaxies when the less-knowledgeable discover that they are being held in a similar regard.

Of course, that was said with a Swiftian tongue, also utterly lost on the breeze.

As for Wikipedia, well, I will muster all the scorn I can. A worthless trifle, by the ignorant, for the ignorant. Facts are not democratic. The meaning of words may be, but I'd even there I'd rather read a definition by someone who knows what he is talking about, and has the respect of his peers, than one by a fellow who has, in effect, wandered in off the street.
    I will not turn on a light to read, unless an educated man has first vetted the condition of the bulb. I sit in the darkness, stupid, blind, and alone. But I have my principles.

My bookshelves are only populated with the writings of those whom I accept as peers - naturally the shelves are rather bare, but my intellectual integrity is sacrosanct.

A fellow told me that the paint on the bus stop bench was wet, but he appeared rather ignorant and certainly was not sporting a regimental tie, so I paid him no mind whatsoever. Do you like my new striped trousers?

And you say you have no knowledge of my point regarding the condescension which drips from your words!
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    So then somebody got around a bit
    It is more an indication that Gildas was mistaken and that there was no exodus of Celts ahead of the Anglo-Saxon colonisation of this island.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    It is more an indication that Gildas was mistaken and that there was no exodus of Celts ahead of the Anglo-Saxon colonisation of this island.

My version is spicier, and will pull better ratings.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The flower need not be rich: one should not confuse wealth with such things as social class, education, wit, charm or membership of any elite.
    You and I agree more than I had at first thought upon reading your start of this thread.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    I don't know Roger. . . I think my University has a higher ranking than yours.

Curt
    Quite possibly, though the law school was apparently highly regarded. I still can't quite see what you're getting at.

Cheers,

R

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Wiggy,

On that occasion, dear boy, I wasn't dripping condescension. I was spraying it. But
    I thought you said in a previous post you weren't attacking me?

Your shelves must indeed be bare if you rely on Wikipedia. Personally I'd prefer the Britannica or the Americana, but to each his own.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    You and I agree more than I had at first thought upon reading your start of this thread.
    I am glad about that. Too many agree or disagree with what they want to think I said, not what I actually said.

I apologize if I am not always clear. I fear that some of it is down to the differences between English and American. Or perhaps Wilde was more accurate: 'two nations separated by a common language'.

More true in his day than ours, I supppose.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have access to the full OED on line (one of the perks of having a wife who is a researcher), but I don't need to access it to know that elite, elitism and elitist are not going to have the same meaning nor will elite have just one.

I don't think I'd need to go to the UK to find that the colloquial meanings are going to be similar in both countries. Although, I would bet the meaning changes as you move through economic and or educational strata.

Off the top of my head
    Elitism is the counter point to pluralism. It is where the few (the elite) rule the many.

Elitist might be a proponent of elitism or someone who feels they are or belong amongst the elite.

Elite is a fairly generic word to describe the better or rare segments of an organization, system or object.

Now I could be all wet on my definitions and these may not be most common and they are not the only definitions, but they are the ones I know. They are the definitions that were rolling around my head whilst I read this thread which makes me wonder what you (Roger and all) are talking about. Are you talking about a type of rule, the better bits or aspirations that may be deluded?

Shooter
    35mm
    On that occasion, dear boy, I wasn't dripping condescension. I was spraying it. But I thought you said in a previous post you weren't attacking me?
    I said, "I am not suggesting that you do not work, sir, just to be clear."

Your shelves must indeed be bare if you rely on Wikipedia. Personally I'd prefer the Britannica or the Americana, but to each his own.
    Whoever said I rely on Wikipedia? I use it, as I use any tool. Indeed, my bookshelves runneth over. And some of the pages aren't even colored in yet.
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Or perhaps Wilde was more accurate: 'two nations separated by a common language'.
    That particular quote is attibuted to George Bernard Shaw. Wilde phrased it a little differently.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin