Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 746

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Elitism

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I describe someone as an elitist, to me it means what David said earlier: that it is someone who puts him/her self in amongst the best. This sense of the word has a negative connotation. If I describe David (for instance) as part of the "Photographic Elite" it would be a compliment, and has a positive connotation. The difference being who puts you in the elite group - yourself or your peers (except for Ole, who is a tongue-in-cheek elitist).

The meanings I perceive for the words may or may not fit with the Oxford definitions.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    in the context of Japanese culture, the word "elite" means bureaucrats, which is very misleading. But this is a culture, where commercial airline pilots are thought to be elites, and so are the banktellers no matter what their real abilities are. It's a simple class culture. The bottom line is the idea of "being men in the uniform."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    in the context of Japanese culture, the word "elite" means bureaucrats, which is very misleading. But this is a culture, where commercial airline pilots are thought to be elites, and so are the banktellers no matter what their real abilities are. It's a simple class culture. The bottom line is the idea of "being men in the uniform."
    Now we're getting somewhere. Where can I get one of these uniforms? Lots of gold braid, I hope!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    That particular quote is attibuted to George Bernard Shaw. Wilde phrased it a little differently.
    I stand corrected, for which I am grateful; I dislike being wrong. But was it not Dorothy Parker who remarked (of quotes in general, not this one in particular) 'We all assume that Oscar said it'?

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Roger,

The full Dorothy Parker quote is..

If, with the literate, I am
    Impelled to try an epigram,
    I never seek to take the credit:
    We all assume that Oscar said it.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Steve,

Thanks. I can't even FIND my Dorothy Parker books. Time to reorganize the bookshelves. Again.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker
    If I describe someone as an elitist, to me it means what David said earlier: that it is someone who puts him/her self in amongst the best. This sense of the word has a negative connotation. If I describe David (for instance) as part of the "Photographic Elite" it would be a compliment, and has a positive connotation. The difference being who puts you in the elite group - yourself or your peers (except for Ole, who is a tongue-in-cheek elitist).

The meanings I perceive for the words may or may not fit with the Oxford definitions.
    Quite. I have yet to claim membership of any elite, merely an aspiration.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Now we're getting somewhere. Where can I get one of these uniforms? Lots of gold braid, I hope!
    Indeed until 61 years ago, Japan was known as Imperial Japan, which was a total military state, becoming modernized by copying off some European countries such as Germany.

That's why school uniforms are still popular, and annual gymnastic events are still run as a part of the curriculum in school education with military march songs in the background.

Anyway back to the elite discussion, I do see the negative connotation as well because many elites have led to exploit others, and they are quite sucessful being that way.

To me personally, elitism is like playing amateur golf: I have no interest of pursuing anything in that field, and it's plain boring to watch. Doesn't mean a thing to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think I can say this simply: I am NOT an elitist. I do NOT desire to be part of an "elite" group, nor will I support one with that motive.

I have been vilified and ostracized for that very attitude. There are many in the "Art World", or at least in the local art world, who feel that stratification ... where they are considered to be at the "top" level... is necessary - "What else are we doing this for ?" The consequenses of questioning - or even suggesting opposition to that premise can be severe.

I am not so facetiously altruistic that I will claim that I do not notice, or enjoy, a little adulation from time to time, but the question is "How do you get that adulation?".
    If I have to do anything that will cause grief to another, I refuse. Status, adulation, a "good review", is not worth the penalty I will pay in terms of negative impact to something precious to me ... my belief system.
    I CHOOSE an Omar Khayyam approach: I will leave the Oriental Court political maneuvering to those to whom it is important. I only want a place where I can "do" my chosen obsession. With Khayyam, it was mathematics; Mine is photography.

"I think the rose ne'er blows so red
    As the grave where some buried Ceasar bled.
    A jug of wine, a loaf of bread
    And thou, beside me, singing in the wilderness.
    Ah, wilderness is paradise enow."

My jug of wine is my camera and film; my bread is light. My wilderness, the studio, darkroom, location, exhibition space.

I may leave this world unrecognized, destitute ... of low social status.
    One thing is certain - it will be a long time until the smile leaves my face - if ever.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Quite. I have yet to claim membership of any elite, merely an aspiration.
    You seem to have accumulated the accoutrement, while waiting to be invited to the dance. I do hope you're not left on the shelf; having mastered the fine art of looking down your nose, t'would be a shame to find no one beneath you. We would not want you to pass your aspiration date.
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin