Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,329   Online: 869

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Elitism

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As with many words, 'elite' can have multiple meanings, connotations and implications depending on context, the intent of the person using it, etc.

This whole thread is a much ado about... IMO.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Everybody is equal.

It's just that some people are more equal than others.

Michael
    Oink

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Everybody is equal.

It's just that some people are more equal than others.

Michael
    Yup. Karl and Friedrich could never quite get their heads around that one. Well, some things always work well on paper. C. Wright Mills, anyone?
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have never been talked down to when seeking an answer, I;ll give that to you PUGGERS. But I have been talked down. Twice in a week when offering one by someone wishing to sharpen their teeth on my opinion and of course those people had no idea what they had done that I could possibly even feel the slightest affronted. But I did, and this happened at betterphoto.com about six or seven times spread out over two different periods of time. But I beleive that we are all different people when writing than when speaking. Not only our vocabulary but also our attitudes. We have more time to thjink about it. For the most part I think it sucks and it is the reason I left betterphoto.com and would like Sean to erase me membership info and such. Not because of the elite, but because of an elitist attitude that I just CAN'T BLODDY STAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just let me go without well wishes or little baby comments and I'll see ya later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photography, like everything else conducted at the highest level, becomes elitest. Most people have more important things to do such as making the house payments, keeping the car running, and getting the kids through school. In the end, however, it is elite photographers who leave a material residue of their lives that survives the fading recollections of a couple of generations.

When all the photographs are gathered up and there are no more to be done it all amounts to very slim baggage for a journey into eternity. But most folks jump into forever with little and leave less.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris
    But most folks jump into forever with little ....
    In fact, isn't it with nothing.....

Your sentiments ring true - except there's always the point that some artists (photographers, whatever) are only fully appreciated some time after their death. During their life they were never part of any kind of acknowledged group, or élite.

So where does that leave us with regard to a consideration of élites in photography? I would argue, and I'm not using this expression disrespectfully, but because I have noticed where you come from and because I am half Aussie myself - quite possibly firmly up a gum tree.

Shooter
    35mm

If by "elite" you mean snob...

That is one take. But if by "Elite" you mean "highly trained" or highly skilled", they deserve to be listened to.

Highly trained and highly skilled fits me. On Internet forums though, too many times that is taken to mean "snob".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by EdGreene
    That is one take. But if by "Elite" you mean "highly trained" or highly skilled", they deserve to be listened to.

Highly trained and highly skilled fits me. On Internet forums though, too many times that is taken to mean "snob".
    True. And consider how many people use 'intellectual' or 'liberal' as a term of abuse, too. I'd be flattered to be called the former and cheerfully call myself the latter.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another common element I've perceived among those who criticize "elitism" is a desire to any damned indulgent thing they like and not have anyone tell them they suck at it. So they attack the messenger as elitist or try to dump all qualitative distinctions as somehow being beneath them. It is hard to suppress laughter whenever I see this.

I wonder if THEY see it though?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Another common element I've perceived among those who criticize "elitism" is a desire to any damned indulgent thing they like and not have anyone tell them they suck at it. So they attack the messenger as elitist or try to dump all qualitative distinctions as somehow being beneath them. It is hard to suppress laughter whenever I see this.

I wonder if THEY see it though?
    My problem with elitism is that it assumes that a few hold some special distinction over everyone else. The distinction seldom holds-up under scrutiny or over time.

I haven't a problem with elitists except that their arrogance tends to be annoying and by definition there is no talking to them on a one to one.

I love the elite, there are a couple people here on apug who are, for me, the best and I enjoy the heck out of talking to them.. The problem is that one person's elite can be anything from a moron to an alien to another.

There is no (or atleast no defendable reason for a) superclass.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin