Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,622   Online: 989

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: Elitism

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow
    There is no (or atleast no defendable reason for a) superclass.
    Isn't that what's so good about the internet?

Or maybe it's what some people hate about the internet.

The idea of an élite was raised initially with specific reference to this forum. I would like to think of this forum as a community, not a hierarchy (which is an inevitable condition of the existence of an acknowledged élite) and as a true community that it values all its members equally and believes that everyone can offer something good and worthwhile. That doesn't mean that it is not able to acknowledge its 'elders', but it means it does not need to pay undue attention to status as such..

We may not all be 'experts' or 'elders' (both better terms, in general I think than élite and far less value-laden), but no-one is expert in all areas or all the time and we can all offer different kinds of insight and experience - even heaven forbid, photographic ones. I would like to think that members believe we can all learn at times from each other.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All known forums and photographs are made for and by and with the equipment, trappings, and social occasion of primates. They will do what they do, and one thing they certainly do is force hierarchy into everything that they do. Ain't no do-do

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I have to agree. Speaking very generally here, having status as part of an élite - real or imagined - in no way makes anyone immune from making an ape of themselves

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow
    There is no (or atleast no defendable reason for a) superclass.
    If you start from a particular set of assumptions, logic leads almost inevitably to an esatblished ruling class. And the assumptions all seem pretty benign when you start. The dangerous part is the notion that a group of people would somehow know themselves to belong in the superclass and should therefore take it upon themselves to control the lives of others. The problem is as old as human history, and the philosphical underpinnings go back at least as far as Plato (see The Republic, or worse, The Laws).

Reasoning from pure logic is dangerous. One should always stop and check one's theory against reality from time to time.

Facts are stubborn things - John Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The point, however badly written, was as writen. A better way to say it might be "There are no super humans."

Shooter
    35mm
    I belong(ed) to an "elite": Military Paratroopers (Heavy Weapons Infantry). I am (of)an "elite" in that I established a newspaper from scratch.
    "Elite" to me then means a "Mark", if not of exclusion, then of accomplshment: Lance Armstrong for example. Can you tell Lance or me from any other at a glance? No, not until we do what makes us "elite".

Soon enough, we who shoot film will constitute an "elite" of sorts, especially those of us who insist* on shooting manual focus gear.
    *When an affectation makes one "elite".

Pentax LX, Super Program(2), K-1000
    Canon F1, T-90

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    The internet makes people think they are a lot more elite/more important/more righteous/more persecuted/more censored/more picked on/more whatever than they are in reality. It makes for good drama.

Ever notice it's always men? Geeky, nerdy men too...

Regards, Art. (D'oh! That last sentence will get me to the Star Chamber....)
    I probably wouldn't qualify as a geek, but I feel there is some substance to your point addressing the internet drama. Maybe its just easier to be annoyed by other people when communicating in the channel.....In the real world I would probably just walk away from someone who extols some point that I feel is misinformed, ridiculous or makes no sense, but on the internet, I might comment on what I interpret as idiocy.
    On reflection, this is probably not a good way to react to other points of view....but if you're driving under the speed limit in the passing lane...I'm probably going to comment.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin