Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,229   Online: 992

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr
    However, back in 1997 I decided I needed a decent small "carry everywhere" camera. I realized that I was missing many shots because I didn't have anything, period, with me at the time. I wanted a purse-sized camera, but still one that had a good lens and could do decent real photography.
    My wife is a pastel artist, and usually takes photos to use for reference to make her art. Years ago I gave her a Rollei Prego 28-90 P&S, and she loves it. But it is a bit large for her purse, so for the same reason you state, she has taken to carrying a disposable camera with her everywhere. No zoom, no focus, but the quality is much better than many digicams, and light-years ahead of camera cell phones (which we had considered). And even better, it's film!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone remember the Olympus Trip? Simple, compact and mine only cost me £25And then there was the Minox 35mm models, Contax T series, Ricoh GR1..........in fact even my Pentax LX with 40mm 'pancake' attached is pretty compact. As for archiving, well NASA lost thousands of images because they were stored on obsolete computer tapes.....nuff said.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy
    My fear is that there will be a day where finding that CD-ROM that says "Family Photos" will be the same as finding a box of punch Cards marked "Family Photos" in this day. Pretty much not going ot be seeing them again without spending a handful of time & effort tracking down some vintage equipment.
    Well, I'm not that sure about that. CD-ROMs are not exactly punch cards; they are (or probably were, before DVDs became popular) considerably more popular. Punch cards were used by large, noisy computing machines that took a whole building and cost a fortune; CD-ROMs are used by small desktop computers that are not particularly expensive, and most people in somewhat developed countries do have one. It's probably more like finding a 8mm film or Beta tape labelled "Home movies" -- both technologies were quite widespread, so it should be quite easy to find a conversion service. And probably even that would not be needed: many computers still have 3.5 inch floppy drives, even though a good share of those drives never see a floppy. It's there just for backwards compatibility with that old format that was so popular that people still might need to read the occasional floppy.
    However, there's another archival issue, probably more serious than that -- CDs and especially DVDs should really be handled with care if you want them to last. For example, I have a pretty large collection of CD-Rs, and some of them cannot be read some three years later, even though I didn't do anything that bad to them. It's probably some 20 or so out of 500, but the number would surely grow with time. Backups, however, would help somewhat, and regular migration to newer formats would pretty much solve the problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Didzis
    However, there's another archival issue, probably more serious than that -- CDs and especially DVDs should really be handled with care if you want them to last. For example, I have a pretty large collection of CD-Rs, and some of them cannot be read some three years later, even though I didn't do anything that bad to them. It's probably some 20 or so out of 500, but the number would surely grow with time. Backups, however, would help somewhat, and regular migration to newer formats would pretty much solve the problem.
    FWIW A good portion of the digital images I stored just a few years past on name brand CD's under decent conditions are now unreadable. I have better things to do than constantly migrate digital media to the geek spasm of the day. I am pushing all my client work back to film. I no longer believe at all in the archivability of digital material, its a bunch of hype, prone to deletion, degradation, and failure.

In contrast, I can still print negatives my grandfather shot 60 years ago, with no problems at all.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 07-10-2006 at 04:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shutter lag: I have Canon EOS3, my brother has D20 and I have friend who has D5. No noticeable difference between mine film and their digital cameras. Ok, maybe some computerized measuring machine will measure difference, but I didn't see it.

Autofocus: I usually (90%) of time use manual focus. But, autofocus worked with basketball play shooting, car rally racing, and I didn't have oportunity to try it with formula 1 race, but I belive it will be no problems. And it was on slow lenses. What I want to say, if you use cameras as good as EOS 3 or even faster, autofocus works good, so it is up to you if you want to use it or not. If you don't get good photographs with autofocus with these class of cameras it is up to you, not camera.

Five days ago was concert of Paco de Lucia in my town. It was really sad to look at people with theire mobile phones and digital p/s trying to get picture from 50 meters distance...

I had Olumpus mjuII. It was stolen from me. If I can find another one, I will buy it. Lovelly little sexy thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Didzis]...It's probably more like finding a 8mm film or Beta tape labelled "Home movies" -- both technologies were quite widespread, so it should be quite easy to find a conversion service. And probably even that would not be needed: many computers still have 3.5 inch floppy drives, even though a good share of those drives never see a floppy. It's there just for backwards compatibility with that old format that was so popular that people still might need to read the occasional floppy...QUOTE]

Beta videocameras are still almost standard in professional TV recording. OK, digital take it place, but Beta is still standard in TV recording. Beta never got popularity in home video, VHS take that, but in pro TV recording, Beta rules.

Floppy discs... Well, I bought new motherboard for my computer, and it is with controller for SATA hard discs. Drivers for SATA came on 3,5 inch floppy disc. And if you ever tried to install SATA hard disc drivers on windows XP during windows installation (you know message during windows installing: "if you have SCSI HDD drivers to install, press F6"), you will get note that windows require installation of SATA drivers only from floppy disc. No option for installing from anything else (CD or network or else...), only from floppy disc. So, floppy discs are still good and well, thank you very much...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haris, what is SATA, BETA, SSCI, XP? sorry but I am a photographer. Might I bumped on the wrong spot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    Floppy discs... Well, I bought new motherboard for my computer, and it is with controller for SATA hard discs. Drivers for SATA came on 3,5 inch floppy disc. And if you ever tried to install SATA hard disc drivers on windows XP during windows installation (you know message during windows installing: "if you have SCSI HDD drivers to install, press F6"), you will get note that windows require installation of SATA drivers only from floppy disc. No option for installing from anything else (CD or network or else...), only from floppy disc. So, floppy discs are still good and well, thank you very much...
    I'm not following you, Haris. I installed a SATA controller on my old computer, and there was no floppy involved. And my new one came with the controller already in it, as yours. Again, no need for a floppy. I haven't had a floppy drive in several years. Seeing what was coming, I copied everything important that I had on floppies to cds back when I had my last computer with a floppy drive.

But along these same lines, I have a nice Epson 636 flatbed scanner that works just fine... but only on Windows 98! Sigh...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm

Why autofocus

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw
    I honestly don't understand why anyone needs autofocus.
    1.Failing eyesight
    2. Dim lighting.
    3. Fast moving subjects.
    4. Squirmy, figety children.
    5. Squirming-figety pets.
    6. Photojournalism.
    7. A moving Wedding couple.
    Why do I say this?
    Unlike digital, film is unforgiving and you need to capture the moment in the moment, in particular if you're getting paid.

One can be as "artsy" as they choose on their own time, but getting paid means using what works and autofocus works.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdGreene
    1.Failing eyesight
    2. Dim lighting.
    3. Fast moving subjects.
    4. Squirmy, figety children.
    5. Squirming-figety pets.
    6. Photojournalism.
    7. A moving Wedding couple.
    Why do I say this?
    Unlike digital, film is unforgiving and you need to capture the moment in the moment, in particular if you're getting paid.

One can be as "artsy" as they choose on their own time, but getting paid means using what works and autofocus works.
    And sometimes it is simply a matter of preference. When I shoot 35mm, I shoot my Nikon F5 or N80, both with autofocus and with image stabilizing lenses. When shooting my LF camera, which is my primary camera, I don't mind using manual focus.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin