Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,780   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tourist Remover

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [color=black]The best part is the image of the photographer on the splash page - the epitome of the "tourist" you would want to remove if so inclined.[/color][color=black][/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]Two cameras slung around his neck, fishing vest to carry all the stuff he probably doesn’t even need. But the camouflage hat confuses me - are there that many tourists in the jungle or is he prepared for urban combat?[/color][color=black][/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]I'm also quite impressed that he can hold a shopping bag and keep his camera steady at the same time. Maybe if I went to the gym more....[/color][color=black][/color]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsatterlee
    Two cameras slung around his neck

Two left handed cameras!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't mind tourists as a photographer, but many parts of town become intolerably crowded whenever school is out somewhere. It gets hard to walk down the street, so you have to stick to parts of town that tourists can't find (basically anywhere but the National Mall, Georgetown, Capitol Hill, DC Waterfront, Old Town, Tidal Basin, Arlington Cemetery and its surrounds, Crystal City, Pentagon City, and Bethesda). But that is a lot to avoid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A great tourist remover that works on either film or digital is a Tripod + a couple NDx2, NDx4 or NDx8 and stack as needed.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones
    I guess we're not tourists. We have a 'good reason' to want to take photos of unpopulated streets. They don't. They should leave. And their photographs? Just snapshots.
    Excellent point. Whenever I travel to a new location to photograph, I'm technically a "tourist." I sure hope my desire to see and photograph someplace other than my home town doesn't offend anyone! But I promise I won't wear camo hats or tacky shorts or bright Hawaiian flower shirts...

- Robert
    "Photograph more, worry less"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kerwin
    Excellent point. Whenever I travel to a new location to photograph, I'm technically a "tourist." I sure hope my desire to see and photograph someplace other than my home town doesn't offend anyone! But I promise I won't wear camo hats or tacky shorts or bright Hawaiian flower shirts...

- Robert
    Just noting what I thought would be obvious. When we wish that others would get out of our way and stop blocking up the scenery, who's to say we're not blocking up someone else's?

At home he feels like a tourist
    At home he feels like a tourist
    He fills his head with culture
    He gives himself an ulcer
    He fills his head with culture
    He gives himself an ulcer

- At Home He's a Tourist, Gang of Four

Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They sould call it "local remover" because I'm usually the tourist taking the photo!

D.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones
    I guess we're not tourists. We have a 'good reason' to want to take photos of unpopulated streets. They don't. They should leave. And their photographs? Just snapshots.
    Besides, isn't it the people that give a city its character? Pictures of empty city streets always seem a bit soulless to me.

Euan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eubielicious
    Besides, isn't it the people that give a city its character? Pictures of empty city streets always seem a bit soulless to me.

Euan
    I've enjoyed both - busy and empty. I'm ok either way. Granted that there are sometimes people where I wish they were not; or vice-versa; but one works with what one has, and usually they've as much right to be there enjoying that space as I do.

I will say that in some places - like Gettysburg, PA last autumn - I discovered something new; drivers who will stop traffic to let you get what they think is your shot! I was shooting across the street at a colorful shop, and noticed no traffic - weird, because there had been quite a lot of it. Looked up over the viewfinder, discovered drivers going both ways waiting patiently for me to take my shot. No one honking. Weird! But nice.

Beats Albuquerque, where I was trying to photograph from the Avenida Cesar Chavez Bridge over the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Yard, and the occupants of a passing car threw a full bottle of soda at me and swerved to try to make me jump to my death. People are strange.
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't mind tourists. I suppose it helps that I don't actually visit locales frequented by tourists. That's the great thing about nature, excluding tourist locales, there are no tourists. In fact there's hardly ever anyone else beside myself, and what few other people venture down the trails are either way behind me, way ahead of me, or took another route.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin