Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,636   Online: 957

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    now that is pretty funny
    Yes, it shows you how much this image is really worth.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcollum
    yea.. all those nobodies.. shore, sternfeld, eggleston, meyerowitz, atget, misrach, freiedlander, winogrand (they're just normal people walking around), evans, kertesz, klein, strand, doisneau. most of their work are just 'snapshot's of the world around them.
    jim
    I think the vital point here is that the people you mention (not of course "nobodies") had the ability to see something extraordinary in the commonplace and make an image of it which was compelling for the viewer. I think Shore shot himself in the foot with his title "Uncommon Places" - his pictures are of common places and do not in any way (at least to me) communicate whatever quality Shore felt made them uncommon. This is why I still feel his work is derivative - it is derived stylistically from ordinary snapshots and I see no evidence that Shore has managed to subvert this style or make it his own.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not really naming names or asking a real question here but I guess I just dont understand why for some people this photo is total rubbish yet a photo of a grove of trees that likely took the same amount of time to compose/set up is really darn great to the same person.

Is it just what we like to look at that decides merit? I don't really see much difference between the two types of photo. Both can be very much just as 'snapshot' as the other yet one is Art and the other one is garbage?

(I am guessing this is a whole other threads worth of conversation)

Rhetorical: Why does a photo have to be "good" to be good?
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    ........I think Shore shot himself in the foot with his title "Uncommon Places" - his pictures are of common places and do not in any way (at least to me) communicate whatever quality Shore felt made them uncommon.........

David
    sorry to post twice in a row, but, maybe Shore was answering my question just posed..

'why does a photo have to be "good" to be good?'

maybe Shore responds: it doesnt.

Uncommon because these are not "good" photos.
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    Perhaps a relevant measure of how good an image is, is how well it holds its meaning or conveys a certain magic for the viewer many years after the image was made. If you use that measuring stick, the list is pretty small of photographers whose work will not be simply seen as records and curious artifacts from another time and place.
    Thanks Jim We can stick a fork in this puppy, because it's done!!

What Jim said holds true for every Human form of self expression.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    :^)

about $5,000 in 20x24 (although i wouldn't pay that for this image of his)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Colley
    My shorthand definition of a good photo is one that fulfils its intended purpose.
    There is the argument that a boring and drab picture perfectly conveys boredom and drabness - but I don't buy it!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Colley
    sorry to post twice in a row, but, maybe Shore was answering my question just posed..

maybe Shore responds: it doesnt.

Uncommon because these are not "good" photos.
    What it is not is a pretty picture - Lets face it, there are a great many pretty pictures in the world, just as there are a great many 'snapshots'.

Uncommon because it challenges us to look a little further, to look at ourselves, rather than providing us with all the answers, with beauty on a plate. I still think it's asking us what we find there....that's why it's interesting to me.

And I agree that the effect of this picture is not served well by being seen small on on a monitor (as is so often the case).
    Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague

doesn't matter to me if bobo the chimp took it-
    it still is reflective of where and when it was taken ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like Shore's work pretty well, although it's quite different than what I usually do.

I, too, find this image troubling - scary, if you will. Perhaps that's because I was a young adult at the time it was made, and actually conscious through the 70s, unlike some on this forum.
    juan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin